1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Uses of PINK S.W.A.T. Ointment?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by whachasmama, Apr 19, 2010.

1. whachasmama

whachasmama Senior Member

Can the PINK S.W.A.T. ointment be applied thick to the unclipped, inside of a horse's ears?

(I know someone who does this to repel flies and all I see it doing is collecting dirt and matting all the hair in his ears. It is NOT coming out at all!)

Please let me know if this a proper use of the ointment, my trainer and I are VERY curious!

2. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

I know people who apply swat inside ears and around eyes to repel flies, including myself.
    However, I never used it on un-clipped ears, but I used it when my horse was showing and was always clipped.
    I've also always used it around their eyes...pink only when I want my horse to look like a war pony. ;)

3. Banat

Banat Senior Member+

Shmearing it all over the scrotum, bewbies, and sheath to repell ticks and flies.

4. JumpinIsFreedom

JumpinIsFreedom Senior Member

hahahahah, that made me laugh so hard :D :rofl::applaud:

5. bellatink89

bellatink89 Full Member

one of my friends did this with her horse a few times last year- he looks like a bunny rabbit cause of the pink ears it was kinda cute. she had to wipe them out twice a week tho. it kinda gets absorbed too i guess. we have a big percheron that we put swat on his sheath and belly- pretty thick and when he comes in the next day idk how but its usually gone.

6. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

LOL. Glad I could help!

I've always used it on my black horses--makes them REALLY stand out! :D:wink:

7. JumpinIsFreedom

JumpinIsFreedom Senior Member

c[:
    You should really get a picture ;)

8. Gottagallop

Gottagallop Senior Member+

i have used it in ears and around eyes.. also on around cuts, around the base of the tail, ankles and nose.

9. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

A little bit goes a long way. I used it on my horses around the eyes, ventral midline, and ears. I dont clip out the ears completely. You dont want to put a whole lot for it does melt and you dont want it to melt into the ears themselves. Just a light thin layer will suffice. I do put it a little thicker on the midline. I have even put a thin coating on the lower legs to aid in fly releif there.

10. Gottagallop

Gottagallop Senior Member+

actually today i used the clear swat on sarge around his eyes and ears ;)