USEF drug testing and suppliments

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Coho, May 14, 2009.

1. Coho

Coho Full Member

Hi
    At the last show my horse was pulled aside and drug tested. Interestingly enough I had stopped most suppliments about a week before the show - not planned just ran out. I was talking to a friend and she said that Black as Night
    would have shown up. My question is how can I know what is ok and what is not....I've heard peppermint candies show up also....Thanks

2. jokersbardee

jokersbardee Senior Member+

There are certain supplements like Black as Knight that will test. Certain calming and magnesium supplments are things to be aware of also. You should check with your governing body about prohibited substances and cross check them with what you are feeding.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

There's nothing that says the BAK WILL test, but it could, just depends on how sensitive the test is and how much you'd been given. It contains paprika, which contains capsaicin, which is the banned substance.

The only thing you can do is very, very carefully read all labels of things you feed and try to decipher it all. Stinks, because you're right, HOW would one know to even look at what's in paprika that would test? It's not like capsaicin is on the ingredient list.

4. bludejavu

bludejavu Senior Member

What is recommended by USEF, and this was after speaking directly to them about this, is that if you are feeding your horse ANY herbal supplement that is not currently listed with them, that you either call them at least two weeks before a show and check with them on what you are using, or, you withdraw the supplement no later than 7 days in advance of the show. It is frustrating to resort to this, but it is in an effort to keep a level playing field for all exhibitors. My personal advice - do not chance what you are feeding without checking with them. I have heard from a pretty reliable source that drug testing is being increased at certain shows and all it takes is a trace of something not allowable to put your standing in jeopardy (not to mention a suspension/fine possibility).

Susan

5. Kim Johnson

Kim Johnson Registered

The company that makes Black-As-Knight makes all of their products in a "Show Formula" so you never have to worry about failing a drug test if your horse is on any of their Cheval show products. You do have to specify "Show formula" when you order and the easy way to spot the Show formula is they have a purple back label rather than the hot pink back labels of the regular formulas. People like Farm Vet that have mobile units on the show grounds always have Show Formula Black-As-Kinght, Red-D-Vinity and Gold-As-Sun. They are made by Cheval International and the owner of Cheval is a gold, silver, and bronze medalist so she has been very careful to always keep on top of the drug laws and make Show Products (the only company I know of that does this), so riders don't have to study labels and rules to be in full compliance.

6. Kim Johnson

Kim Johnson Registered

A

7. Kim Johnson

Kim Johnson Registered

8. Kim Johnson

Kim Johnson Registered

Black-As-Knight SHOW FORMULA will not test. Cheval makes all their products in a show formula for competition horses - same price as regular formula.

9. Kim Johnson

Kim Johnson Registered

Or, easier, Cheval has done all the research for you and makes all their products in a Show formula (no paprika, etc.) so just order Black-As-Knight Show formula and you are good to go.

10. sherian

sherian Senior Member

due to the nature of herbs the concentrations of chemicals can vary from lot to lot. There is limited testing for whether or not this products will test either due to the chemicals produced by the herb, or chemicals that mimic others. I take the safe route, unless it has a DIN and testing parameters I don't give it at show season if showing recognised, not worth the fines. If you want your horse to stay black, switch to night turnout and be religous about hosing off sweat.