USDF Breed Show

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by greenpaintpony, Sep 18, 2018.

1. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Y'all are going to give us big heads! :blushing: @tlwidener Thabk you!! :D

And thank you tons @Preppy_Ponies!! I won't worry about her tail or clipping her whiskers. Can I wear khakis or do I need white pants? And do I need running shoes or can I wear paddock boots?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on these braids? She has so much hair I'm worried about it staying in and looking nice, so I was liking the sewn in aspect. Also, she has a fine neck (for a QH), but the added roundness probably wouldn't hurt?

Guinness on Tap: Fluffy Dutch Style Dressage Braids: The Long Awaited Braiding Tutorial

I can practice tomorrow and I'll post pictures of both options (my normal braids with bands and that type)

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Very, very nice. Don't be too surprised if you win. ;)

greenpaintpony and manesntails like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

For yearlings a flat leather halter. I typically use a leather lead without a chain, but you can use a plain white cotton rope. The typical attire is casual natural colored slacks and solid polo type shirt with a collar. Typically you see khaki pants with a white polo. The Dressage Judges are not real keen on over-clipping of the face and ears and some places in Europe don’t allow it, she just needs to be clean and braided. Typically you will be asked to Stand her up slightly offset so all 4 legs can be seen from the side then they will ask you to run triangle you walk it first and then the second time you do the best extended trot you can do. There is usually a double coefficient on movement so really practice your trotting in hand…and you are not trying for the most speed you are trying for the longer stride, so when you run you need to take long strides and often the horses will pattern their stride length after you. After the triangle you will be asked to stand her back up slighty offset again.

Most important…..Have fun!!!!!!

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

2EC0FAFA-5319-4EC1-B5A8-B9FA244FED6E.jpeg ABBE354D-A86E-48E2-AAB1-B6C62376E41F.jpeg waxed thread works really well for sewing in braids and I found a hybrid approach of braiding endingnit with a band and then seeing it in works best for me. The top pic is a sample with black to make it easier to see ... although too close together bottom is finished product.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

E9A34352-DE04-44E4-9CE7-4005177AA995.jpeg This is my daughter the rebel in black pants...with her youngster, this is how you want your filly to be set for inspection slightly offset.

ginster, Arem, manesntails and 2 others like this.
  6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I kind of like the black pants with the black horse... it "hides" the handler a little and shows off the horses a bit more.

lucky_pine, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

She always wears black pants and a colored shirt because she earned the nick name of Pigpen..... she had to wear sweats over he white breeches and I still have to bring an extra pair.

8. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Khakis are perfect and paddock boots or running shoes are acceptable. For a shirt a polo or a button down are most common. Keep the colors solid and basic so as not to distract from the horse.

Give them a try. The fluffy dutch braids might look good on her! I usually do more of a rosette braid. Basically braid down with yarn and then tie the braid into a knot and tie or stitch down the tail. Usually ends up with a little fluff above the crest but less than the dutch braids. Something like these on my other mare.
    [​IMG]

manesntails and greenpaintpony like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Gorgeous braids, lovely neck on the horse..

10. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Thank you so much @Kristal H!!! That's the exact sort of info I was hoping for! I will wear khakis then and put her in her leather halter. I think I do have a leather lead (no chain) I can use as well. I'm heading out tomorrow and can practice trotting. She trots nicely in hand, she just had a little QH jog, so I'll work on lengthening my stride with her. I'll try the hybrid braids too!

@Preppy_Ponies thabk you tons too! Between the two of you, I'll have her properly turned out!! How do you do the braids with the knot in them? I've heard about them but never seen them in person, and I'd love to try a couple of those tomorrow to see what looks best on her!

Y'all are the best! Thank you tons!

Arem and manesntails like this.