USDF Breed Show

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by greenpaintpony, Sep 18, 2018.

1. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Hi all!

I have the chance to go to a breed show (USDF sporthorse in hand) with my 2017 filly this coming weekend. I'm taking her for fun, exposure to a show atmosphere, and because it's the most convient show for us to get to, but I want to make sure we're appropriately turned out. This is my first show of this sort, so what is appropriate turn out for this sort of show?

She has a nice leather halter, I'm fairly comfortable with button braids (attached photo) and basic grooming, but do I need a leather lead for her or is clean white cotton ok? What do we need to clip and what can I leave (she currently has a bridle path, but a fully whisker-y muzzle)? Do I need to do anything with her tail? Hoof polish? Most of the articles I've found have been for adult horses shown under saddle, so I didn't know what differences exist.

She's a quarter horse, so I know we're not going to do well, but I want to make sure we are at least turned out as well as possible.

Thank you all in advance!

IMG_9868.JPG IMG_9869.JPG
    IMG_9872.JPG

Larkspade and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Has she been trailer at all to ANY show or event yet?
    If not, I wouldn't show her. I would just let her get accustomed to the atmosphere. Just lead her around, put her on a hay bag and stay with her, let her observe.
    You can use any tack you have because you are there only for exposure.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. greenpaintpony

Yes! She has been off farm and trailered a couple of times and was very relaxed about the whole thing. This is a smaller show and a couple of her barn mates will be there, so I thought this could be a good first experience for her.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. manesntails

Then just go and keep yourself very relaxed and have a nice time being a part of it. Don't stress about how your horse is turned out. It's just for practice. Have fun~!!

Alsosusieq2 and greenpaintpony like this.
  5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I think you should win. :D

Larkspade, Arem, tlwidener and 4 others like this.
  6. greenpaintpony

@manesntails thank you!! I think I'm going to be more nervous than she is (just because it's been so long since I was at any show) and I do need to keep reminding myself that showing is fun haha

I am excited about getting to dress her up nicely and show her off, even if it's for the wrong breed/discipline! I love and miss show grooming, so I'm using this as a good excuse to brush up on it (and learn specifics for a new discipline :))

@endurgirl :rofl: Want to write the judges and let them know?! When all the other yearlings have those huge floaty trots and she jogs off I'm going to have to not burst out laughing haha
    This is what I get for foaling my mare out at a dressage breeding farm! :rofl:

Arem, Puddincup, manesntails and 2 others like this.
  7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

You may luck out and get a QH loving judge! :p

8. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Go have fun! Don't stress about it and just make it a good experience for your filly. We never seemed to have any DSB classes near me but I took my filly in FEH, hunter breeding, young horse show and a few others. She's an Irish sport horse who despite being 1/2 TB looks like fully blooded chunky Irish. She was not the type any of them were looking for but was usually the best behaved one out there :rofl:

As for your actually questions, the halter looks fine. If you have access to a nice looking leather lead I would use that. Otherwise I'd go with a plain solid color cotton lead rope that is clean and in good shape (no fraying or anything like that).

As far as grooming goes, braid her and clean her up. No need to clip whiskers or any of that. I usually do hoof polish but that's a personal choice. Brush her tail but no need to braid it.

For a basic idea of turnout here's my filly doing FEH as a yearling. She was extra awkward looking that day so please excuse that. She's wearing and in hand bridle (no bit) but also did it in a halter. Oh and her braids were a bit of a mess so please ignore them. Her mane is insanely difficult to manage!! I recently gave up trying to tame it, so she's now rocking the roached look!
    https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9ac4f283508d3b233dfa1a12b8aad607&oe=5C2AE2DB

9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

She's so pretty!

Arem, Alsosusieq2 and greenpaintpony like this.
  10. manesntails

Hey, we had, at the barn I boarded at, a last minute request for QHs to attend a practice show in the riding ring. The 4H students asked if they could do a mock show at our place to practice judging.

There were three Appendix QH and A breeding Stud, my Qh, who I had to run down to the back pasture and pull out, no time toeven brush him, and three more Qhs in that mock show.

My QH won the dang thing~!!
    Talk about unprepared~!! Not turned out well~!! He had an old rope halter on and a dirty yacht rope lead shank~!!

Boy, were the Appendix peeps ticked~!! One of them they paid 15,000 for. My QH was free. I took him because he was lame and they were going to put him down, at that time. The stud owner was not pleased either~!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

greenpaintpony and Alsosusieq2 like this.