US Kill Buyer List

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by FancyASB, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yep. I had a beginner friend get "duped." There's usually a reason those horses are there.... once in a while you can snag a decent horse, but for the most part, there's a reason. This horse happened to be navicular and have an coffin fracture that healed badly filled with arthritis. The horse was never going to be sound to ride and was way to green for them, but hey... the "feed lot" ppl said it was sound and must have just gotten kicked in the yard or something bc she was "sound yesterday." She was supposed to come with papers, but those were never seen either.

They took advantage of a bleeding heart beginner and she got royally screwed. That horse should have stayed on the meat truck where she belonged.

Alsosusieq2, equinitis and JStorry like this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Actually, if the horse hadn't been sitting in a field unrideable for half a year, it's pumped full with medication and not fit for consumption.

Mustangs who are healthy and ingested nothing but grass and water make good meat horses, broken down riding horses don't. I don't even know why they send them so indiscriminatingly for slaughter. With horses of unclear origin you have to test each one of them for the usual veterinary drugs and probably a large portion of the unrideables will test positive.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Many times the "rescued" animals end up worse off than a ride to slaughter would have been. Too much horse, too expensive to keep, too little equine husbandry knowledge, etc. Buy a 1000 lb horse for .5 per lb. and sell it for $1000. That is a .95 per lb profit if my math is correct.

Most of the equines slaughtered these days are rendered for fertilizer and such, not for human consumption so the drugs in the system don't really matter. As far as I know, there are almost no exports, if any, for human consumption any more due to the implementation of more strict requirements for the carcasses. Obviously none from the US since we are too stupid to slaughter our own, none from Mexico unless they are going under the radar to some 3rd world countries and I don't think there are any more going from Canada. I could be wrong, I have not looked any of the data up for several years, but human consumption was never the majority of slaughter in the US.

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I order horse at a little French restaurant in Toronto. Other counties have been eating it for centuries. I don't know why the U.S. is so hoity toity about it.

CoffeeBean, Puddincup and equinitis like this.
  5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Because we let the vocal minority that know nothing about equines dictate to the rest of us that do know. I never would have thought My Friend Flicka and The Black Stallion would reap such idiocy.

6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I don’t know why, but I couldn’t eat horse meat unless it was a matter of life or death. But then, vegans and vegaterian don’t eat any meat, and there must be some who practice that in the countries that consume horse meat. So, I guess, just saying it isn’t just us dam Yankees, lol.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Lol...
    If you like beef steaks, then you're missing out so much. My bf also tried it when I ordered it over the summer and he said the same thing. It was seriously the best steak we've both ever had. It didn't weird me out at all when I first tried it.
    I mean, don't get me wrong ... I dont want to eat MY horse , but then again, he's far to expensive to eat even tho I threaten him with it from time to time.

equinitis and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Huh. I'll pass, but take your word for it. I live in cattle country, I'll stick to just a beefsteak. I refused to buy boots made from hosehide thirty years ago too though. It's just personal with me. Not really bleeding heart, just a thing.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

They're livestock and so eating and wearing them shouldn't bother me - but it does a bit. Slaughter has its place in the US (or it should). That said, I don't want a horse of my acquaintance to go there because I want them to live out their lives with someone who appreciates them and either die of natural causes, or get put down by a vet. I can be a raging hypocrite at times, clearly.

I mean, it's like dealing with their bodies. I KNOW that rendering them doesn't matter to them one whit. It's just that if I'm going to pay someone to take them away (I can't bury them here - water table and ordinances) I would prefer to call the local family who composts them than a rendering company. Same price, different service and I just feel better about compost. Which is silly of me.

All that said, I'd rather see a horse go to slaughter and eventual consumption then starve to death, or be neglected.

equinitis and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I get you completely. There's a place in my psyche that honours horses. I can't explain it in any other words that would make any sense. If we were starving or alternative food sources weren't easily had it'd be different. I just don't see a "reason" myself.

Honestly, the older I'm getting, the more we're both here leaning on more vegetable based meals. We're not vegetarian, but we just aren't as keen on meats like we used to be. I think we kind of came to a decision this last year to start trying to lean more that way. It's healthier for our bodies, it's healthier for the environment considering what it takes to raise and protein sources. It makes more sense to me.

Anyway, nahh. I'll not be gnawing on a horse when I'm surrounded by Herefords and Angus.