Update on the Twit

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kitari, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

That's interesting that sedation isn't required. I guess it wouldn't have been an option for livestock though when fire branding started.

2. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Well, her's is a freeze brand which is a different application from fire branding.

3. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

Correct, I did follow that. I just failed to have that come across in my post.:rolleyes::)

4. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

Freeze branding does not hurt while it is being done, I have thought about it for my mares but both are mostly white and that means it needs left on longer so the hair does not grow back and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Twit had a few minor choke episodes the last couple of days. Nothing major, mainly coughing, no discharge from the nose. I noticed it first sunday morning when I fed, decided a little something went down the wrong pipe.

Got a message yesterday afternoon that she sounded pretty bad. So I went by to check her out. I got there and she is just chilling out. I take a bit of feed and go ahead and get it started on soaking then took her out. Slightly elevated breathing, but lungs sounded clear, good gut sounds, no discharge.

Let her have the soaked feed to see how she handled it. Ate it no problem and her respiratory rate went down. So I left a note on the board and sent a group text to soak her feed for the next few days (minus the flax seed)

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

If I were you I'd be doing this pretty much from now on. Seems to me once it happens it's better to err in favour of caution. Just my opinion though.

7. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

We'll see. I don't think it will be a continual problem. I went through this with Poco a couple years back, wound up changing her feed to a more old bat friendly feed.

But we'll see. I can't really get much more eating friendly feed wise than she already is. (She eats triple crown senior)

8. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Well, vet is coming out either tomorrow or Saturday. I received reports that she was still coughing and was caught coughing in the pasture so I checked her out myself today. She sounds decidedly congested.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh no...hope she feels better soon!!

10. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Twit has pneumonia. She got a shot and a goodie bag of meds. I'm to give vet dude a call to give her report card Sunday and we will adjust treatment from there.

My wallet is shaking in fear in my pocket.