Update on the Twit

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kitari, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

She can be really good when she isn't being a Twit. LOL

Animals can know things, I was swamped in a cat mountain when I was at home the following day. It was hot. LOL

Larkspade likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

So sorry to hear that.
    But I am glad you're getting loved on by your furry friends. Animals are great like that. Nothing like unconditional love to make you feel better!

3. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

I noticed something the other day.

When I got Scarlet last year, she wasn't the best about her feet being handled. Not the worst or anything, but she would fight you a bit on the back feet and be a bit antsy on the fronts.

I started to notice that she has been getting loads better about picking up her feet. Almost always before I actually touch them with my hand. Not always but more often than not nowadays.

Miraculous! Amazing! It's like she is reading my mind!

Then I realized, every time I do her feet, when I line up and start to bend to reach her foot, I bump her with my hip. Not accidentally bump like I'm not aware of how close I am, but I do a hip bump like you see teen girls do with their besties sometimes.

So there! I trained my horse to pick her feet up to a hip bump.:rofl:

Varisha, ginster and Larkspade like this.
  4. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Soooo.
    I fell of Twit thursday.

Nothing major really. I had gotten some small custom tack pieces, and I was trying the bit guards out on her. When I was done with pictures, I decided I would flop on her from the mounting block. Not actually getting on her, but lay across her, throw a leg kinda sorta across her back. She was doing great, standing like a champ. Til she did not. LOL. She decided to walk off when my leg was on her back, and my foot got stuck on her hip, so she proceeded to drag me off the block. I go scramble scramble to no avail and finally fall off her. Landing all my weight on the point of my left hip. ALL OF IT. I rolled around on the ground bit. Twit wandered off and ate grass.

But her bit guards look good!

On a side note we got a new old boarder in today. New to the barn but I've boarded with him before. After a few days he asked another boarder why my horse is called Twit when he name is Scarlet, and her response was "Because she is a Twit.":rofl:

Dona Worry likes this.
  5. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

And I forgot the tack pictures

Here are the bit guards
    [​IMG]

And the wither strap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Twit modeling the guards. I haven't done the wither strap yet as I melt every time I go outside.
    [​IMG]

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Ow! Hope you aren't hurting too badly!
    Miss Twit looks good though!

7. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

I've got a Twit update.

Last week the temp has been decent enough to get a couple rides in. First rides in 6 weeks.

Ride One: She gave me a whole bunch of "NOs"
    Stand to be mounted :NO
    Stand still: NO
    Give the head: NO
    Walk off calmly: NO
    Slow down: NO
    Stop: NO
    Backup: NO

We ended the ride on a good note though. Lots of shut downs, back ups, forcing those feet to move, and we ended the ride with "yes ma'ams" on all the points listed above. And it went from a pain in the ass at the beginning to a pretty enjoyable ambling around.

Wednesday's ride was much improved. She stood to be mounted, had a small talk on the merits of standing still and walking calmly, then went about our way. Since she was acting so much better we worked on speeding up her gait and maintaining it. Stopping, turning with leg cues.

There was another boarder riding as well. She showed interest in riding a gaited horse as she has never done so. Boarder D offered to let her try his old man Willie (man that sounds dirty! LOL) He is a 22 Y/O walker that is used in civil war reenactments. So he hooks her up and she gets on and she is already having a blast.

After a bit I offered her to ride Twit (this is the same boarder I was considering on using to keep her legged up) She jumped at the chance after a brief moment of misgivings. It didn't look good starting off because Twit decided to Twit out and freaked about getting mounted. And friend of my heart Board L did NOT let her get away with it! It made me so happy she got after her.

I admit I did start to step up to take charge of her (habit because most everyone I ride with are push overs with their horses) she looked at me and went "No, no Mom."

Twit then stood still, she got on and walked off. Boarder L is in love. At the end of the ride she was grinning from ear to ear and told me.

"Sometimes I wondered why you bought this horse. Now I know! Oh my gosh she is great to ride."

I told her she was welcome to ride her when she wanted, and Boarder D told us we could play with his polo stuff if we wanted as well. While L rode around he was riding Willie whacking a polo ball around. He has 3 sticks and a ball, and it just sounds fun. Plus it seems like a great way to work on her desensitising as well.

L would love to ride her again, and I told her when she is being consistently ridden she does really well, and she honestly didn't do too terribly for having sat for 6 weeks. No bucking, rearing, or bolting. Mainly just being a bit pig headed at the beginning and that will improve with consistency.

Yesterday's ride was in the big field with 3 others. Twit was upset initially because her Beau went off without her and we had a discussion about why that did not matter. Aside from that she did VERY well. Every time we passed her Beau she would give him a sweet "hey baby" little nicker, and everyone else she gave the "**** off!" stink eye.

Talked to Boarder D a lot about playing polo. He thinks Twit would make a good little polo pony because she is a little hot under the collar and possessive about her space. LOL

I will be happy just to whack a ball every couple of swings or so and pretending I made a goal. I'm trying to find a used polo mallet. Luck is really not on my side though which sucks. Boarder D took his home to redo the wrapping, but he only has 3 and we need 4 to play in teams of 2.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of her wither strap attached
    [​IMG]

Being forced to stand in horse killing water (Tuesday)
    [​IMG]

Nu5ha, ginster, Varisha and 2 others like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Twit is such a lovely mare. I love a vibrant personality in a red mare!

9. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

She's gorgeous and I love love love that brand!

I have no knowledge of branding. Did you have someone do it for you? I assume she was sedated?

10. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Vibrant is one way to put it! Lol
    I designed the brand and had someone make it for me, my vet did the branding for me, but only because I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the cooling element myself. Twit was sedated because she was also getting her teeth done, but it isn't required for freeze branding. A lot of horses will stand quietly for it, the usually only object to the pressure applied.

I think I made a thread with her branding pictures.