Update on Smoke

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by OldGreyMare, Feb 9, 2019.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Wednesday we hauled Smoke to Marion DuPont Equine Clinic and I have to say, Smoke was wonderful with all the new sights, sounds, and two beautiful Warmbloods nearby in the hallway snorting and looking at her. She walked in as pretty as you please, nudging me every so often as I laid my hand on her neck, reassured her all was well and down the hallway we went, into a room with thickly padded walls. What a heart my mare has, the trust between her and I always evident. I am also so very proud of her, she stood firm for everything we did to her, she never moved when told not to, is so patient and kind hearted, she is a true example of the breed!

The vet checked her heart, all is well there, no murmur, leaks, or issues. Lungs were clear, with the exception of some mild pleural roughening on the right lung, but could of been from anything, otherwise all was okay. Kidneys good, bladder good, everything checked out. We even did a rectal exam and ultra sound and all checked out okay, as well as her lymph nodes, we did find a few small melanoma's but nothing that needed to be removed or worried about at this time. The vet also confirmed the cataracts on her eyes, which has decreased her eyesight, which is one of the reasons she was retired, as she is more reactive and spooky now.

Our vet was there as well for the examination, which I am very grateful she did come. We all talked once the full evaluation was done and came to the conclusion that this edema is secondary to the lymphangitis she had a few weeks ago and due to her not moving around as much the edema was pronounced. It is slowly going away, we are monitoring her daily, and we also spoke about her weight loss, as she is 1594lbs, you can tell she needs a good 50lb to 100lbs put back, and we came up with a plan to help.

THANK YOU all for the kind words and prayers. Bottom line, Smoke is 25yrs old, all in all that is old for a Percheron and she is still bright eyed for the most part and as kind and loving as always. I owe it to her to ensure that she loved, cared for and treated well, as she gave me so very much when we showed, least I can do.

2. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

She is lucky to have an owner like you. I hope you two can have many more happy and healthy years together.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  3. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I'm so glad this turned out well. Keep us updated!!! And maybe a few pictures;P

OldGreyMare likes this.
  4. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I'm so glad she's doing better. Give her extra hugs!

OldGreyMare likes this.
  5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Awesome update. Glad she is ok.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Glad she has you.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am glad to hear she's doing good and nothing serious was found!

OldGreyMare likes this.
  8. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

@slc It is I who is lucky to have her...she has taught me a lot.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Great update.

OldGreyMare likes this.