Update on Sidney; IR, Cushings and sight issues

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by GotaDunQH, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:17 PM.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

On Docs Blonde thread.....we both have Cushing horses, and her lovely mare is having dental problems, and I posted about Sid (because we compare notes) on his recent vision weirdness. The vet came out on Friday. Sid has small cataracts in both eyes, which accounts for some of the sight/behavior stuff. He has an in/out on the back side of the barn that faces the south with full sun, so coming from full sun, through the door into a darker stall has been an issue. I have his fly mask on during the day now to act as "blue blocker" sun glasses.

The vet also did some ground tests for neurological....like I walked him forward while she stood to the side and pulled his tail. At first there was no resistance, but then he pulled back with his hip and walked straight. She said there could be some low grade EPM, so we drew blood for that and to re-test the IR and Cushings. She said he looked to be at a great weight and in great shape. More to come when the labs come back!

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I think Sidney is in the best hands a horse could be. Hoping he feels better soon.

ginster and GotaDunQH like this.
  3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Fingers crossed you get some firm answers soon! He is now in his low 20's, right?

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Also hoping for good news! You never know, based on what his labs come back at, maybe he needs a lower dose, which would not be a bad thing. As far as I know, both too high a dose of Prascend as well as the disease itself can cause some neurological symptoms, but then you have the added fact that they are more predisposed to infections and such (and I would assume EPM despite it being protozoal). It's a constant balancing act. Sigh... They love to make us worry :( I'll be thinking good thoughts and sending good vibes for you and Sid!

ginster and GotaDunQH like this.
  5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yep...he's coming 24, but acts like he's 10.....lol.

barrel_racer64 and ginster like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I have this visor for Chloe for her cataracts.

Equine Sun Visor - EquiTek

I like it better than the regular fly makes, when you look through it it's like us wearing a ballcap.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

That's awesome! I have a soft spot for the geriatrics, I miss The Ol Man, I had him for so long its been strange not having him around. He was 28 when I said goodbye. I hope you have a lot of years left with Sid!

GotaDunQH likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

thank you so much!!!! So, this is why you continue to be my hero!

endurgirl likes this.
  9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Look up ecir (equine Cushing insulin resistance) eleanor kellon dvm...she is on Facebook and has a website where you can join the group for info and discussion. Tons of research and info about all kinds of stuff helping these horses. Lots of kisses and hugs for Sidney.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

So, good news today! No EPM, his ACTH is in the normal range so no change in meds,....AND his blood sugar/insulin is in normal ranges....DOWN significantly from the first test!!! I always questioned the whole IR in the first test last year. He was down in CT at with Roger (my show horse) at a trainers I moved too. 3 trainers (2 of them husband and wife and my current trainer in CA who left that fiasco), and the wife was feeding whatever crap product from Tractor Supply's line was the cheapest. At one point she told me she was feeding a sweet feed and I said absolutely not to EITHER of my horses. Not long after this, Sid foundered and I moved him out, damage was done. But since moving him to the barn up the street and changing his feed to lower carb/sugar, those levels have dropped significantly. Now, Cushing horses are prone to laminitis, but I honestly think the diet was the key on the IR.

Cynical25, ginster, LoveTrail and 3 others like this.