Update on my standardbred Illusion. *Pictures of course!*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Barrelracer318, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

Hello! Figured I should update again!

We went to a hunter pace in August. There was an award for best dressed so of course my sister and I went all out! It was her clydesdale, Charlie's, first "show" riding. He's been to several hitch and driving shows as well as fairs for hitch, driving, and halter just hadn't been to anything under saddle.
    Illusion was my little dragon and Charlie was a unicorn.
    [​IMG]
    His tail may have turned into a dangerous weapon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not that he needs an excuse to be any more of a fiery dragon...
    [​IMG]
    We went to a Mini Trial in September. I also took one of my sister's clydesdales, which went great and I'll throw in some pics of us in here as well. Illusion was completely distracted the entire day. Usually, I some how always end up in a rush before dressage and have just minutes to warm up before heading in the ring. I made a point to get on him in time to warm up a bunch and have some time before our test... He was extremely distracted and his mind was every where except for where it should have been... He was spooking at everything during warm up and was a pacing giraffe our entire test. I'm pretty sure not a single maneuver was preformed correctly. Life goes on. Saluted, smiled, gave him a pat on the neck for not getting us eliminated, and thanked the judge.

The result of doing our own thing during dressage... A 73.2. As in a 26.8%.... He seemed pretty pleased with himself...
    [​IMG]

Pretending dressage was not just a disaster haha
    [​IMG]
    Stadium and cross country in general were super but again, he was super distracted and tense during warm up. A big part of it was probably because Eve was there but she couldn't have cared less about him and didn't call out to him a single time... He was very on edge during warm up and for some reason hated this certain horse every time it passed us... For some reason he pinned his ears and swung his butt over every time. He reverted back to his swinging out with his front end randomly as well during warm up.... His mind was just not at the show that day. My thought through and through is as long as we learn something every show is a success. As long as we're having fun out there( mostly me this time but he enjoys jumping at least) then it's all good at the end of the day.

Tried moving to an area away from people to let him "decompress" but he just still wasn't having it. My sister managed to snap a cute picture though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My lovely ponies for the day :heartbeat:
    [​IMG]

Modern vs. The "Old Days." Dragging the arena!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 6 year anniversary of the I got Illusion was earlier this month! I can't believe it's been so long! He's come such a long way!

I plan on attending some winter jumper shows. Hopefully help us stay motivated to be active all winter! Not too much else has been happening but figured I should update before it gets too long again.

I'll post photos of Eve and I at the mini trial in the next post.

GONE ROPING, froglander, Bebe and 7 others like this.
  2. Barrelracer318

I knew there was something I was forgetting! We ended up placing first in our division at the hunter pace! We were in the division below the jumping one, I forgot what it's called. Where you have to emulate to pace of the hunt on the flat with jumps optional... And placed first for our outfits!
    [​IMG]

Pictures with Eve at the Mini Trial will be in the next post...

Bebe, GONE ROPING, Bakkir and 5 others like this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

SUCH a handsome boy! I love the dragon pictures!

Barrelracer318 likes this.
  4. Barrelracer318

This was Eve's very first mini trial! She has been fox hunting a few times and some local shows while out on lease. I think she's definitely ready to move up a division. I signed her up after I already had Illusion signed up and didn't want to have both of them competing in the same division as that would make one hectic day. Eve is super fancy and knows it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is extremely fun to jump! She was a little nervous coming up to a couple of the jump. She was pretty sure they were going to eat her. But she didn't refuse anything and kept right on trucking!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She LOVED XC! Her ears were forward the entire time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We ended up placing third in our division!
    [​IMG]

I had such a blast showing her! I plan on taking her to some of the winter jumping shows as well!

lukesmom, GONE ROPING, Bakkir and 8 others like this.
  5. Barrelracer318

Thank you! He was so cute! It definitely represented him well haha

GONE ROPING and Larkspade like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I always look forward to your updates!
    It looks like you had a lot if fun and congrats on your successes!
    I also love the Illusion dragon. So cute!

Barrelracer318 likes this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Your updates are always so cool! Gorgeous pictures and it always looks like you're having so much fun.

Barrelracer318, ginster and .Delete. like this.
  8. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

I simply love how much you smile while you're showing. Really brings it back to what showing is all about...having fun and doing it for the love of it. Plus you have such unique mounts. Loveeeeee it

9. Barrelracer318

Thank you!! I absolutely love showing for the fun of it! I was in 4-H growing up and it was definitely the biggest thing I learned. Showing should be fun and a learning experience. Even when Illusion can be a little opinionated I still enjoy what I am doing. I also love showing how versatile standardbred are and how versatile clydesdales can be! (Of course depending on build, breeding and attitude.)

ginster and Ms_Pigeon like this.
  10. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

You're doing this whole horse thing right! Please keep updating. :)