Update on my standardbred Illusion. *Pictures of course!*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Barrelracer318, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

Thank you!!

2. Barrelracer318

Hello all! Figured I post a quick, picture loaded update! Illusion and I have been well! Back In Feburary we went to our first schooling jumper show! It was indoors with a very small standing area for in between rounds and pretty busy warm up session. He was awesome even with a horse kicking out at him during warm up! Didn't get any good pictures of us but we ended up placing 2nd and 3rd in the Starter 2' division!
    [​IMG]

In early May we went to a combined test. We moved up a division and now canter during dressage. So dressage can be iffy or a disaster... but we're learning! We have been working on cantering A LOT. He is doing much better at home but we've gotten to the point where cantering at shows won't get any more confident or better unless we canter at shows... so we grin and bear it haha. It rained A TON leading up to this show. The jumping warm up ring was a mess and the jumping ring was slightly better. We didn't didn't have the best course. It was sloppy and I had a panic moment in the middle of it thinking I forgot the course and almost pulled him up. Luckily, he knew what he was doing and continued on to the next jump :LOL:. We didn't place but he was wonderful anyway. I love showing him and working with him in general; and as long as we come home with a learning experience I am super happy for us!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also did a poker run at the end of May! I have never been to a poker run before and have always wanted to. The course was super beautiful! Illusion was loving it and was powering through it the entire time. It wasn't timed but he certainly was hoping it was... Unfortunately, no pictures of the trail as I didn't have my phone or camera on me. We had a terrible hand but we did win best outfit! It was also his 15th birthday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Birthday boy!
    [​IMG]

Trail riding on Memorial day!
    [​IMG]

The trail had some challenging water crossings and he handled them very nicely! The water was pretty quick moving and he kept trying to dunk his entire head in the water....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dragging the riding ring with the help of my sister's dog.
    [​IMG]
    Cleaning up the pasture with the help of the cats.
    [​IMG]

More pictures coming....

3. Barrelracer318

Illusion is an absolute power house when it comes to jumping! I jumped him 3' for the first time earlier this summer! We school at home 2"3"-2'6" regularly but he just isn't ready dressage wise to move up to the divisions with bigger jumps at shows
    [​IMG]

Illusion has now driven double with all the drafts except for 3 of them! One doesn't drive, One is very green, and one we just haven't driven them together yet... not sure if they would be the best team. Illusion and Icee(pictured below) are the closest in height but exact opposites in speed. Illusion is forward and likes to work the entire time, while Icee is a bit more slow and leisurely. We ground drove them several times and found they work very well together! Their differences work together well and Illusion becomes a solid, steady eddy when working with Icee!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last weekend we had our first mini trial of the season. Our dressage test started out wonderfully. Illusion picked up the canter immediately. It was smooth and collected. In my head I was absolutely delighted! It was too good to be true... we rounded the corner, got to A, he saw the opportunity and stepped out of the ring.... We were eliminated(thanks bud)... The judge let us continue our test but it was too late. He lost his concentration, was tense and pacey the rest of the test. Thankfully, since it was just a mini trial, the show officials allowed us to do stadium and cross country for fun. He did VERY well in both. He does extremely well jumping and I am thinking about entering him in more jumper shows since that is what he excels at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After XC he was very excited and wanted to keep going
    [​IMG]

My sister just came from a bridal shower before so she was super dressed up at first haha. This but it was my nephew's first show! Illusion was super curious about him!
    [​IMG]
    Current body shots. Sorry the right side is a bad angle. Haven't taken any good confo shots of him lately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GONE ROPING, froglander, Bebe and 6 others like this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Love seeing pictures of your boy! He really is the allrounder horse....

5. Barrelracer318

Thank you!!

Dona Worry, Faster Horses and ginster like this.
  6. Barrelracer318

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Gorgeous-!! Thanks, that's one special dude.

Barrelracer318 likes this.
  8. Barrelracer318

9. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

What a cool horse. He's gorgeous too!

Barrelracer318 likes this.
  10. Barrelracer318

Thank you!