Update on my standardbred Illusion. *Pictures of course!*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Barrelracer318, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

I haven't posted much on here in a while and realized I haven't posted an actual update on Illusion in almost two years besides his first show last year!

A little back story for those who haven't been following or don't remember.
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/hes-here-with-pictures.434373/

Illusion has been absolutely wonderful! I moved him back at the end of 2013 to my sister's farm and he has been doing great! I switched his feed as well as took him off all supplements(mostly was on weight stuff) except Fastrack(a probiotic) and started him on Source FOCUS SR and he has been looking better than ever. He is actually looking slightly plump! ;)

For a while I was having trouble getting him to really enjoy riding. I had a friend get on him and work with him some and he seemed to move past hump and ever since then he has really been excelling(at his own pace) but excelling none the less! He has discovered that he loves jumping! He is really thrilled to have a jumping lesson or even better hack out on a friends xc course.

After a lot of hard work last summer and this past year I decided it was time for him to actually show. Something I have been slightly for because I didn't know how he would react to that many horses being around him at once especially horses cantering at him. There was a mini trial coming up, which has always been on my horse bucket list, and I knew I had to do it. After a long day of Illusion really proving himself we ended up placing 4th out of 6 in our very first mini trial showing in Very Green Horse(Intro test B, jump height 1'6" - 2')!! Super proud of him and definitely a great experience! I will probably post a separate thread for that so I can go into more detail but I will post some pictures in here of that as well. We have still been driving a lot too but a lot more riding recently.

And now for the pictures!
    Had to get creative with the winter we had and attempted snowboarding with him but decided to just stick with him pulling a sled...

illusionsnowboard.jpg
    Some arena work in harness
    IMGP0740.JPG
    IMGP0747.JPG
    illusionfield.jpg

roundpen.jpg First time either of us jumped a bank!
    bankjump.jpg

We still have a lot to work on but overall the mini trial went great! He was tense in dressage but for his first time I expected him to be nervous.
    11236431_606594000183_308907586741346971_n.jpg
    More pics in next post....

Attached Files:

lukesmom, Bebe, AmyK and 12 others like this.
  2. Barrelracer318

Did great in stadium considering previous to this he had to check out every jump first if it looked scary or he would stop dead in front of it. We weren't allowed to school stadium so we just had to wing it and we worked through an almost panicked stop but he jumped it and we completed the round with no faults! IMG_0068.JPG
    My favorite XC photo is actually from schooling, but its the same course so it will do!
    11694816_10155800890470527_1139523423524885622_n.jpg
    And our ribbon!
    S0182535.JPG
    And just a current body shot of Illusion
    ilussionmt.jpg

lukesmom, Bebe, GONE ROPING and 16 others like this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Love this. What a relaxed nice natural position you have. You are in your heels And youre smiling which is the best part!

4. Barrelracer318

Once I get post the Mini Trial thread I will post the link here so you can see more pictures!

dollysbreyer1827 and BluemoonOKy like this.
  5. Barrelracer318

Thank you! I was having a blast that day no matter how sloppy the course was I was loving it!

dollysbreyer1827 likes this.
  6. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

Wow! You look great together! Congratulations on your horse trial! Illusion is a handsome boy!

7. Barrelracer318

Thank you!

8. Barrelracer318

9. dollysbreyer1827

dollysbreyer1827 Full Member

10. GreyFeather

GreyFeather Full Member

You both look great. My first thought on seeing your riding photos was what a nice relaxed position you have. Keep the updates coming :).

Barrelracer318 likes this.