Unwilling to keep the right canter lead suddenly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ziast, Oct 1, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Found your dressage video from two years ago. He was nice and soft with some spring in that one. Couldn't find anything after that.

2. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

This was a month ago. (3 rides edited into one)
    Most of the other videos I have we are either puttering or jumping.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Looks like he was starting to get issues looking at around 3:50 on his left hind. That's what I do with my vet to see where Foxy is off when he has me ride him to figure out his lameness.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

3:50 was introducing shoulder in on the circle, I don't know how concerning the stutter steps are he shows. Part of it was he didn't know where to put his feet. But he also doesn't easily cross over in leg yields, but some of that could be me. SI on the straight doesn't seem to be too hard for him usually.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

what happens when you put him together and move more forward? Does he stop dragging his hind feet?

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

No, the toe drag is always there, has been for years. Even when my previous trainer would ride and school him, he'd drag. I've always checked it up to his hocks.

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Course toe dragging also can be a PSSM symptom, but can be for other things too.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Mhmm, so he had his appointment with the body worker today. I've never used this person before, came recommended, all the horses in the barn use her, ect.
    She didn't actually do anything with him. Just looked at him and said everything that was wrong with him and that he needed to be on a special feed program for 10 days before she would consider adjust him. Didn't watch him move beyond when I walked him up to her. Didn't ask what the issues were. Gave me a list of things to feed: 2c of this one type of Complete feed,1/2c oats, 1/4c calf manna, some herbs. Personally, I can't see what 1/4c of calf manna is going to do for my 1200lbs horse or how that's going to fix his canter issue. Is this homeopathy meets horse feed?
    Also said that one of the herbs will help relax his tendons. I think if it was that easy, I would have tried it already.
    I'm going to look for someone else...

Alsosusieq2, tlwidener and bellalou like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

We call it the 'school horse shuffle.'

In some cases, the horse is completely sound and has never been taught to 'use himself' or that training hasn't been maintained.

In other cases, the horse restricts the bending of his hocks due to actual disability, meaning he shouldn't be bending his hocks.

And in other cases, he has mild arthritis in his hocks but would actually benefit from 'using himself' better, either to increase his range of motion and lessen his discomfort, or to hasten some areas of the hock in calcifying together, which will reduce pain and discomfort.

The only way to really know for sure which is the case with a horse, is to have some xrays done and have them read by a decent veterinarian.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

So what are you feeding him if she thinks your feed isn't working? I know from experience with my horse and other friends horses in the past year that eliminating corn from their diet made a big difference. But, that's the only thing I know of that helps a horse movement wise via diet.

Did you talk to the other boarders if her having the change their feed program work for their horses?

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.