Unwilling to keep the right canter lead suddenly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ziast, Oct 1, 2018.

  1. Ziast

    Ziast Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1,938
    Likes Received:
    1,866
    Thanks for all the thoughts. I know this is something with a 1+ year rehab time, if it ever heals... But 1 year is a long time. I don't know if I really have my head wrapped around that yet.

    Here's a little ray of sunshine. No blood or albumin in his stool. Ran the test tonight, both negative. He almost didn't poop for me, was putting his blankets on to go back out when I was finally able to snag some. I'll send the pictures of the results to the vet in the morning.
    20190206_201014.jpg

    With his stifle shaved, it makes applying Voltarin really easy, too.
     
    ginster and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  2. Ziast

    Ziast Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1,938
    Likes Received:
    1,866
    I want to reach out to the first vet and update them on the findings of the ultrasound, I don't really know how to approach it though. I don't want to sound like I'm blaming them for missing it or misdiagnosing him, because I'm not. I had plenty of agency to get an ultrasound done earlier and I didn't. I want to approach it more as a learning moment... The first vet is younger, maybe 5 years out of school, second vet has been in the game for a long time. I'm just thinking if I let her know what the ultimate diagnosis ended up being, in the future she might opt to ultrasound sooner for other horses that presented like him, maybe provide more incentive to develop the skill in reading stifle ultrasounds. They've seem pretty cool and open minded during all our visits, just don't want to offend them...
     
  3. uncanny580

    uncanny580 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    Messages:
    3,837
    Likes Received:
    2,968

    First of all, what a bummer, but at least there are some answers now.

    As far as reaching out to the first vet, I would just send an email and let them know you got a second opinion and what they found. They shouldn't get to upset by that.
     
    LoveTrail likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

    Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    20,193
    Likes Received:
    17,620
    Did the 2nd vet request records from the 1st prior to coming out? If yes, then have them send their report back. If no, you could call the 1st vet office, tell them you got a 2nd opinion and that you’ll asked the 2nd vet to send the findings.

    Honestly you won’t convince a vet they should change their practice/ways. If the 1st vet actually reads the findings of the 2nd vet, she may call you.....but most likely she will simply file the 2nd opinion on your file and bury her head in the sand.

    Having worked for vets for 8years.......they really don’t take well to anyone telling them how to do their job.....even when it’s the persons job to do so. So a client even attempting to use it as a learning opportunity for the vet, it will never be received that way by the vet. So I wouldn’t even go there. They are a tight knit group of people and if they are at all friendly with one another they will talk amongst themselves. You don’t need to cause any reason to be the topic of their discussion. :)
     
  5. manesntails

    manesntails Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2010
    Messages:
    38,418
    Likes Received:
    73,140
    Sorry to hear this~!!

    Don't call the first Vet. 1) It's not your job to educate them, AND, 2) you never want to chance alienating a Vet that, who knows, you may need later in an emergency.
     
  6. Dream27

    Dream27 Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Messages:
    3,026
    Likes Received:
    2,633
    I'm so sorry about all of this happening, but commend you for being so proactive in trying to get answers. I had been riding Piper a little this fall/winter, but the front of her hock blew up and after my vet consulted with another vet, they decided she injured a collateral ligament and has about a 50/50 shot of being sound again. Thankfully, she's fine to be a broodmare which is essentially what she was before, but I was really looking forward to trying to show her in the future. Hurt horses sure are frustrating :( I hope you and Julius can get back to full strength soon. *Hugs*
     
  7. Ziast

    Ziast Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1,938
    Likes Received:
    1,866
    I had the 1st vet's office send the records to the 2nd, so I could have new findings sent back. I'm not wiping my hands clean of the first one quite yet, and it's a larger hospital with 6-7 vets. The one I saw just happened to be the one who was available that day. Besides, they still have my last IRAP injection.
     
    Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.

Share This Page