Unwilling to keep the right canter lead suddenly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ziast, Oct 1, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Could be ulcers, teeth issues, or poor abdominal engagement leading to low back and SI pain. With poor abdominal engagement, the lumbar spine and SI joint will be more susceptible to shearing forces and pain, especially with bend, and if they are already irritated secondary to the other painful joints, it could have certainly been aggrevating despite just walking. I've been dealing with similar with my mare. The hocks are sore, making low back and SI sore, and the only way to help is abdominal engagement, but it's difficult because she's out of shape so then working on working on the abdominals is irritating... :confused:

2. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

His fresh is more snorty, fancy. These times he's has a clearly unhappy face on. He really doesn't get fresh anyway.
    Hm, could be.

Teeth were done a few months ago. Ulcers seem unlikely, but not impossible. He has hay 24/7, low grain feed. Not girthy or sensitive. But the previcox and steroids could have caused something. I have 30 days of pop rocks of needed.

We just injected the SIs, so I hope that's not it, but he was reactive over them last I checked. Definitely has poor abdominals though, always has. I'm going to do a couple days a week of in-hand work how that I've done lessons again.

Put him back on Previcox? Might take the edge off enough to work the muscles.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Unless you injected an anaesthetic, and you probably didn't, he could still be sore there.

"We just injected the SIs, so I hope that's not it"

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

My horse actually gets ulcers when he is doing less work.

5. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Was talking to my friend about it today and I remembered that he doesn't like to flex to the left when doing in-hand flexions, which is the same direction he first started chomping when we were walking circles with a light inside bend (tho he chomped both directions during the lesson). When flexing to the left, he will get to a point then flip his head up and away. To the right he does it quite well with no protest. Idk if it means something or if he's just stiffer that way. He was doing that before the rest of this stuff happened.

I've started him back on Previcox and will mention it to my vet next time we talk.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.