Unwilling to keep the right canter lead suddenly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ziast, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

From Tueday:

He's not swinging his right leg out as much, but wow he looks gimpy by the end.

Chiro is booked for Tuesday afternoon. Yay. Started previcox yesterday. Looks like he loves stawberry Nutrigrain bars, they make excellent pill vectors.

When I was doing his stretches and stuff yesterday, I noticed the muscling on his stifles was quite different on each side. I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but his left has almost twice the muscle of the right. Think he enjoyed his stretches and currying. I have a jelly curry I don't usually use because it sucks for getting dirt out, but it's perfect for massaging. I'm also putting my BoT wrap over his back with a quarter sheet while he eats and stands.

In hindsight, there were so many things that said his stifles were an issue. When he was 4 we lost the right lead for a while, but he was 4 so it wasn't that strange. When we were jumping, he'd land on his left lead often, even when going to the right, even with my trainer riding. Left to right changes were always harder. There was even a few times he had some awkward jumps and landed in a cross-canter, such that his left hind was taking the weight, but he only did that two or three times sporadically so it was easy to label as greenness. Leg yield to the right was always harder, he'd have to take full weight on the right hind. Poor guy. :/

Attached Files:

DocsLglyBlonde and ginster like this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Right hind leg lameness like that can also be hind gut ulcers. But, I have also found if there is an issue already with the right hind or even the left front, hind gut ulcers makes it worse. Given he hasn't had his normal consistent exercise he could be getting hind gut ulcers now on top of what ever is affecting him.

Another option for the previcox that I have used is putting it in a syringe with water. I worry that the little pill will drop to the ground and the horse won't get it. This way I know they did.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Super super not wanting to come through with the RH - He lifts and pauses then plants it down instead of stepping through.

Id be interested to see what some really good cranial sacral work might do to help that hind end.....not sure if you have anyone out your way that could do that.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

He seems to gobble up the nutrigrain bars well enough. I don't know if syringing you be any more effective, he's tall enough that I have trouble if he lifts his head at all.

Pretty sure the lady I have coming out Tuesday does craniosacral. I also know another girl who I'm friends with who is a deep dive into the alternative/kineseology/facia/CS stuff.

I sent the video to my vet this morning, haven't heard back yet.
    I've settled on a plan for the next bit. Hand walk rest of this week, tack walk all of next week, then wean off the previcox for 3 days, then see how he feels at the trot. Should I try trotting him once while on the previcox too?

If he doesn't improve maybe I should get the ultrasound guy out just to be sure. Or, idk, arthroscopy? I'm still low key scared hes got a tear somewhere...

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You want to at least do trot work while on previcox. You want too see if it’s made any improvement.

Ziast and LoveTrail like this.
  6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

He was on Previcox from the 5th to the 13th. During that time I hand walked and tack walked. I tack walk him for 20minutes at first since I had been hand walking 30, but it was too much for him. Standing like this after:
    20181211_182609.jpg
    He got his chiro on the 12th. More muscle sore, less misalignment. She pointed out how each of his hind legs have developed differently in regards to the muscling. The right hind has the muscles along the top and hamstring more developed, but thin through the front. That reflects the hip hike and swing that he's been doing.
    On the 14th, I trotted him (8th day of previcox).

He felt gimpy as soon as we trotted.

Then I gave him 4 days to wash out, then trotted him again today off Previcox.

I took the stirrups off my saddle for the last few rides. I should do that more often, really helps my seat. I feel like I was able to ride him better today because of that. I've also been focusing more on getting that leg to step forward more at the walk(or at least trying). I think he was moving better, moreso towards the end. Still off, but better. There was no 'omg, gimp' moments. It was more crooked and a little less willing through the transition up, and he really wanted to stretch down after. Didn't root, but was insistent on his stretch. So I'm thinking that's him being a bit sore, as he usually tries to stretch like that after we've worked hard.

He's still reactive through the SIs. He was even reactive while on Previcox, though he's not as bad as at first.

I'm more optimistic after tonight's ride and how he was moving. I'm about to send an email off to my vet, but right now I'm thinking another IRAP for the stifle and SI injections. No point in trying to calm the stifle if the SI is still aggravating, and vice versa. Can't calm the SI if the stifle is still overworking. So, going to ask my vet about those two, plus shockwave. Had someone at the barn mention it. I was super determined to get a stifle u/s, but with how he was moving today I'm feel better about not having one.

There's a girl coming next week to clip. I have to decide if I want to clip him after all, and what kind. Right now he doesn't need it, but if he starts doing more than 10 minutes of walking, he will. There's been some days were he's puffing after just walking, it's so hot in the arena.

7. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Vet said to canter him as a test, so I cantered him tonight. Just once each way on the straight. Held his right lead with no hesitations. :woot: He was pretty forward too once he realized we were doing more than a boring walk. I had to actually ask him to stop after we cantered rather than just stopping riding like usual.

Trot might have felt a little gimpy at the beginning, but after a few trots he felt better. His canter wasn't really great, other than cantering. Felt heavy and lumbery. This doesn't mean I'm going full steam ahead, still doing the slow work, but good to know he's feeling better. I have all next week off work, so I can get out during the day and ride in the fields in the daylight.

Going to book with the office to try and get an appointment for next week to so another IRAP and SI injections. My vet is on vacation, so someone else will be coming out.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Had another round of injections done Thursday. IRAP for the right stifle again, and steroid in both SI's (u/s guided). Have you ever seen SI's done before? Omg, I hadn't. They use a foot long needle and the entire thing ended up inside his muscle. I knew they were deep, but wow. That's deep.

Different vet came out this time. It was actually the vet who usually sees him, but she wasn't available when the whole thing started. She flexed him, still positive as expected. Didn't look as bad to me, but still has the leg swing and hitch. Poor guy had quite the day. Was bathed and blow dried the night before. Got clipped in the morning, then got to go back outside for 40 min before the vet arrived. He was a little neurotic for the vet. Lol. They ended up sedating him to scrub him, so I guess he loses his perfect patient title. He's actually been a lot fresher lately, which I'm taking as a sign of him feeling better and getting less work. Last week he was particularly hot, so we did walk-canter transitions which are supposed to work those muscles. His canter actually felt pretty nice, not the lumbery, heavy feeling like earlier. Still only tolerating 15-20 min of work.

He got IV bute and vet wanted stall rest for the rest of the day, so he stayed in and got put out the next morning. I'm giving him a couple days of previcox again and will start him back slowly. Start with walking this week, then trotting next week and see how he tolerates it.

9. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Now I'm confused.

So he's been chomping and ducking more lately during outer tides, which I've been taking to mean he's getting sore. Still just doing the easy, walk trot straight lines, been doing some poles this week.

I had a lesson tonight, basic inhand dressage work, all at the walk. Basically all we did was bending and flexion exercises on large circles and down the wall. Some easy walk halt transition. Nothing physically stressful.

Near the start of our bending at the walk he starts chomping and ducking. He's done all these exercises before, and we are literally just walking with a light inside bend. There's no way that's hurting his stifles. He was chomping on and off during the lesson, more often when asking him for a higher position and more flexion, which is totally understandable, it's hard to balance and bend, mentally. But still was chomping when just walking on a circle.

Is this chomping all just mental tension? He would rarely chomp before all this and it would be in more difficult situations(like laterals work or if he was really hot/spooked). Do I work him through it?

What if he has something like cervical arthritis and it hurts to bend, and now that everything else doesn't hurt its showing up more. :willynilly:

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Maybe he's a little fresh.