Unwilling to keep the right canter lead suddenly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ziast, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

From Tueday:

He's not swinging his right leg out as much, but wow he looks gimpy by the end.

Chiro is booked for Tuesday afternoon. Yay. Started previcox yesterday. Looks like he loves stawberry Nutrigrain bars, they make excellent pill vectors.

When I was doing his stretches and stuff yesterday, I noticed the muscling on his stifles was quite different on each side. I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but his left has almost twice the muscle of the right. Think he enjoyed his stretches and currying. I have a jelly curry I don't usually use because it sucks for getting dirt out, but it's perfect for massaging. I'm also putting my BoT wrap over his back with a quarter sheet while he eats and stands.

In hindsight, there were so many things that said his stifles were an issue. When he was 4 we lost the right lead for a while, but he was 4 so it wasn't that strange. When we were jumping, he'd land on his left lead often, even when going to the right, even with my trainer riding. Left to right changes were always harder. There was even a few times he had some awkward jumps and landed in a cross-canter, such that his left hind was taking the weight, but he only did that two or three times sporadically so it was easy to label as greenness. Leg yield to the right was always harder, he'd have to take full weight on the right hind. Poor guy. :/

Attached Files:

DocsLglyBlonde and ginster like this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Right hind leg lameness like that can also be hind gut ulcers. But, I have also found if there is an issue already with the right hind or even the left front, hind gut ulcers makes it worse. Given he hasn't had his normal consistent exercise he could be getting hind gut ulcers now on top of what ever is affecting him.

Another option for the previcox that I have used is putting it in a syringe with water. I worry that the little pill will drop to the ground and the horse won't get it. This way I know they did.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Super super not wanting to come through with the RH - He lifts and pauses then plants it down instead of stepping through.

Id be interested to see what some really good cranial sacral work might do to help that hind end.....not sure if you have anyone out your way that could do that.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

He seems to gobble up the nutrigrain bars well enough. I don't know if syringing you be any more effective, he's tall enough that I have trouble if he lifts his head at all.

Pretty sure the lady I have coming out Tuesday does craniosacral. I also know another girl who I'm friends with who is a deep dive into the alternative/kineseology/facia/CS stuff.

I sent the video to my vet this morning, haven't heard back yet.
    I've settled on a plan for the next bit. Hand walk rest of this week, tack walk all of next week, then wean off the previcox for 3 days, then see how he feels at the trot. Should I try trotting him once while on the previcox too?

If he doesn't improve maybe I should get the ultrasound guy out just to be sure. Or, idk, arthroscopy? I'm still low key scared hes got a tear somewhere...

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You want to at least do trot work while on previcox. You want too see if it’s made any improvement.

Ziast and LoveTrail like this.