Unsound horse dont know what to do anymore.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ottbaddict, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

In addition to getting x-rays I would also consider testing for cushings. Frequent abscesses and lady issues often point to this. If you can get the mare to the vet and the prognosis isn't good for her quality of life, I would put her down. Unfortunately once the feet go bad and do irreversible damage, it's hard to rehab that. I hope things work out for you!

2. lhoward

lhoward Senior Member

It should be quite possible to do the most "common sense" tests and xrays on the same day, if there has been proper communication with the vet beforehand.

That should be quite a savings right there.
    The minimum based on the mentioned issue is 100% having her reproductive organs and hormones checked out. Xrays on all 4 feet. And a cushings test.

Not going to be cheap, but depending on the Vet it shouldn't cost a fortune either, esp. if you knock those out in one visit.

Who knows, the resulting issues may not end up being all that difficult or expensive to treat. But you won't know that until you find out. If you are committed to this horse, then that is what you need to do. Horses aren't cheap ...

If you can't afford to do this minimum of necessary vet diagnostics, then yes, its not fair to the horse and you may look to humane euthanizing. Which also costs money, unless you have her shot.

If that was my horse, I'd give it one good go of trying to figure things out. But its not my horse, it is yours, and your decision.

I wish you best of luck!

tlwidener and ~tiffy~ like this.
  3. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I feel like the real problem here isn’t the horse. It sounds like you’re over stretching yourself financially with just the upkeep of the horse, and as a result you haven’t been able to put savings aside for emergencies and surprise expenses that pop up out of nowhere. Whatever the outcome of this is, you might need to evaluate whether it’s feasible for you to continue owning a horse or if you’d be better off with a part lease. Horses are expensive, there’s no getting around that. It might be time to take a break until your financial situation is more stable.

lhoward likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

If you can afford to pay for treatment, pay someone with a trailer to haul your horse to the vet for diagnosis and to work out a treatment plan with the vet.

If you cannot afford to pay for veterinary treatment at this time and the horse is comfortable and eating well, but simply is too lame to ride, she can be sold for a small amount of money, as a companion only horse.

5. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Nothing wrong with humane euthanasia either. I'd be concerned about selling a horse that is this uncomfortable, unless it was to someone I was confident would provide the necessary care and treatment. I decided to have my second horse PTS because I couldn't afford to have her on full board at the time (student barely scraping by on casual wages). The horse was fully retired on a large spelling property that only gave the horses a brief glance over once a day if they were lucky. I was terrified I'd come up to find my horse cast in the paddock unable to get up - or worse, dead after laying there for several days. I tried to rehome the horse with trusted friends but that didn't work out, so I made the difficult decision to have the horse PTS. The horse didn't suffer and although I bawled my eyes out I know I made the right decision. Previously I'd leased the horse out to people I didn't know and it came back looking like a rescue / abuse case so I was not going to put my poor equine friend through that again. Sometimes a dignified end is the best you can do.

shaiarabs, Garfield70 and ginster like this.
  6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Hardly anyone needs a company only horse. And particularly not for sale. If you spend time around horse people and make it known that you have space for an unrideable retiree you get flooded with offers for free because tons of people have horses that become unrideable and would rather get themselves a young, fit one instead.

The only people buying unrideable horses are frauds who will either resell as healthy and rideable or to slaughter.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't agree with that. Yes, there are many unrideable horses out there.

But I do know legit people who take unrideable horses and who are willing to pay a low price for them, though some are free.

And no. It isn't usually handled publicly. People often work it out with a friend.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Exactly what I have been talking about. Don't trust advertisements on public platforms of people who are looking for pasture ornament only horses. Where I live there have been several scandals of people who bought dozens of unsound horses for very small money, making the ex owner believe they were looking for a non riding sound companion animal and either resold as rideable or to slaughter.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  9. spec

spec Full Member

This is why I would recommend a rescue. They tend to have connections with people who actually do want pasture pets, and go to lengths to make sure it’s a good situation. They can do a courtesy post, where the horse remains in your care and they search for a new home. People donate to those organizations for situations like this.

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

There are many "rescues" that are scam or really ****ty, up to animal hoarding situations.

spec, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.