Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by spec, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spec

spec Full Member

I saw a thread like this on another forum and thought it would be interesting to hear everyone’s horse-related “unpopular opinion” from any discipline or realm of the horse world. Let’s refrain from criticizing each other’s thoughts on this thread too much.

I’ll go first! I think amputating a horse’s leg and replacing with a prosthetic, even on a mini, is wrong and selfish on the owner’s part.

I also think the term “cowgirl” applies to women who ranch on horseback regularly....not barrel racers :ROFLMAO:

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I think horses feel an affection for certain people beyond just as someone who feeds them. I don't mean the mythical "bond" that makes a horse magically perform for just that one person, but a sense of comfort and affection based on mutual knowledge of each other.

3. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

Horses don't NEED a job. They're perfectly happy with 24/7 turnout with some other horses. A horse doesn't care if it doesn't get ridden.

4. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

Agreed.

manesntails and spec like this.
  5. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I think calling a horse you bought at an auction a rescue or a kill pen buy is wrong.

I think buying cheap run down horses then marketing them as a rescue and adopting them out for triple the price and playing on people emotions is wrong

It is better to do right by the horse than to do right by your heart

6. spec

spec Full Member

Oh and how could I forget my strongest, most unpopular horsey opinion?!?

I think horses NEED turnout. I think it is horrible for a horse’s mental state to sit in a stall at all times unless being worked or ridden. If your current barn doesn’t have the facilities/space for your horse to regularly get out in a big paddock to run, play, socialize, graze, “be a horse”.... then you should most definitely move barns without hesitation. And yes, I realize a LOT of people disagree with me on this.

7. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

I'm not a fan of often swapping bits. I believe in soft horses and riding off of your seat. They're so many "fancy" bits out there that I just don't care for. I like halters/bosals, smooth d-ring snaffles, and a smooth shank when the time comes to advance a horse's training.

8. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

Agree! I see people's show horses in stalls 24/7, because the horse has been babied so long it "hates turnout" aka can't mentally handle the outdoors.

Alyssa Hughes, manesntails and spec like this.
  9. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I believe all horses should have 10 hours turnout in a grass paddock minimum. Anything less is just asking for health and behavioural issues. Yes, this includes precious performance horses. Especially precious performance horses - if anything they need that grazing time more than pleasure horses because of the stresses of training.

I believe shoeing a horse should be a last resort, not a first option. Barefoot should always be the goal.

And finally, my most unpopular opinion yet, I believe clicker training promotes aggressive behaviour. I am yet to see a clicker trained horse that doesn't look like it wants to rip the trainer's face off. While I do believe food rewards can help achieve a positive outcome in certain situations, clicker training is a big NOPE for me. Hate it, can't stand it, it's dangerous and should be abandoned as a training method.

Saph, ChestersMomma, Arem and 10 others like this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Unpopular opinion?
    :idea:
    Nope.
    All my opinions are popular with me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.