Understanding a fitting saddle

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Twistedbeauty, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

IMG_7255.JPG IMG_7257.JPG IMG_7268.JPG IMG_7272.JPG IMG_7289.JPG IMG_7293.JPG I just wanted some more opinions about how this saddle fits and what I can look for in other saddles that will fit better. I've gotten that this saddle is too wide and the panels are too flat. The gullet has a cut for high withered horses and I can fit three fingers in between comfortably.

Let me see if I've got this down, since the saddle is too wide and it is already a medium, I should look for medium trees when looking at different brands (I know standard tree sizes can vary). Since the panels are too flat for her back, I'm in need of a saddle with a more curved tree, but not too much that it rocks.

Now I have some more questions. The gullet of this saddle is 6". How does it look for her? should I be looking for a wider gullet (7", 6.25") but more narrow tree, or does a 6" gullet seem right for her (I plan to do a either tracing to find the right measure)? Also, I've looked up at some saddles with an upsweep of the panels at the cantle. What is the purpose of it? My horse has a bit of a roachback from lacking lots of muscle and I don't want the channel to come down on her spine. Would the upswept panel help or a halfpad?

What budget friendly brands would you recommend with a good amount of rock? I intend to buy used because my budget isnt that great right now, so if you suggest older models I might see some! TIA!!

The saddle is a Kincade AP Synthetic Saddle with a medium tree and 16.5" seat (the pad is a very thin one so I don't think it's affect the fit. I used it because this saddle is a pain to clean underneath)

2. slc

slc Senior Member

In the first two pics it looks way too low in front but it doesn't look that low when viewed from the side. In one side picture it looks like it is set too far back. In the pictures from the back, it looks like it sits too low in the channel on the back. It looks like it would sit too low overall, with a rider in the saddle.

When you take the pictures from the back, it helps if the horse's head and neck are straight rather than turned.

It's a good idea to take pictures from the front, back and side with you sitting on it to see how low it is sitting on the withers with someone in the saddle, and it's a good idea for you to try and see how many fingers you can insert between the pommel and the horse when you are not in the saddle and when you are.

The horse looks like she has a couple white spots on her withers. Are those from a saddle or maybe a blanket that didn't fit well?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Too wide in the gullet. Look at the horse's angles, if you can't visualize them, google “saddle fitting guide“. Look at a few different guides and follow the directions for making a gullet tracing. Try that in the gullet of saddles you want to try on him.

Twistedbeauty likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Her back shape looks fairly similar to my TB mares back. I just had a fitter out for her and she said my thorowgood(t4 high wither dressage model) is a great shape for her, it just for needed some tweaking to fix flocking issues.

ETA: hers a pic of my mares back, its not the most recent pic but its the best I could find. Screenshot_20180613-140913.png

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Twistedbeauty likes this.
  5. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

She does have white spots on her withers from her previous owners eventually. When I rode with that thin pad and walked some, I stuck my finger underneath the cantle and it would definitely touch her spine.

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Kincade saddles are so poorly made. The entire shape/design of the tree, and then the panels are just incredibly wonky - like they just don’t fit anything. So please don’t use this as any gauge of “what might fit” based on what they call any of their parts.

Your horse appears to be a standard TB fit. Look for any saddle made to fit TB’s - there are plenty. I would look for something with a upswept rear panel, as she does have a bit of an upsweep to her croup - though not to the point of being super curvy. Any english style upswept dependent/integrated panel should fit her well.

You didn’t say what your budget is - so it’s hard for anyone to suggest anything. I’m guessing it’s under $500 though, given you have a Kincade......but tell us your budget.