Undercut Hairstyles: DIY?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MysticRealm, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member

So, I'm sweating a LOT right now. All day long at work it's hot and humid and I can be almost dripping in sweat at times. And then I also take 2-3 dog training classes a week where I'm again working in a very hot, no air circulation environment, sometimes doing a fair amount of running so I'm sweating then. As well as other times I may be out in the heat.
    My skin under my hair at the back of my head is not enjoying this (nor is my skin all over, but especially under my hair) and I'm thinking that a bit of an undercut would help my skin there by letting more air flow over it.
    But I never go to the hair stylist. I haven't gotten my hair done by a pro in... 3 years? 99% of the time it's in a pony tail so I don't have to care too much about how great it looks. But since it's almost always in the pony tail if I DID do an undercut it would be on show, so can you do a simple undercut yourself and have it turn out ok? I'm a dog groomer so I know how to handle a pair of clippers, but not behind my head.
    I also hear growing it out is a huge pain, which I can imagine.
    Any thoughts?

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Since you show your dogs, I think a professional should do your undercut.
    You want to look like a pro, right? So go to one. Once it is done, the upkeep should be easier...
    Unless you trust someone else to use scissors and a clipper in an even line. A fellow groomer maybe?
    I think doing it yourself, on your own head, is extremely hard and would most likely come out wonky.
    Never had an undercut but I can imagine growing one out is a pita. It is probably better to cut all the hair short and let it all grow out if you're tired of the undercut.
    Unless you have a lot or very thick hair, then I guess you could just leave it down to cover the lower part...

Baboo and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I think @lucky_pine had one, may have some input on it growing out.

4. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Get it done by a pro first, then you can use the cut to redo it yourself.

I got one done and it made a huge difference with the heat. If you keep on top of the trim, it will continue to look professional.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

I personally would majorly regret doing that, but that's me. I keep my long, thick hair in a bun (on top of my head so my neck stays cool) or a braid (lays on neck, but keeps hair out of face. There are many types of hairstyles that'd keep your neck cool. Although I am a little bias as I am (mentally) attached to my hair :rolleyes:

6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I have an under cut and love it. However, I go every 3 weeks to a barber and get it shaved. I don't trust myself to not mess it up. No input on growing it out, I have intentions to. I wear a hsadhat every day and my head is sooo much cooler without that extra hair!

wpgrider likes this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Me too lol. I keep mine up almost all the time when it's hot... and bc I'm lazy haha

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

You can be attached to your hair all you want, I am. But when you wear a hardhat and you're in 110+ heat every day of the week, it changes things haha. So I totally feel where the OP is coming from. Best decision I ever made. I just have a triangle cut out the back, not a full under cut.

Arem, ginster, Alyssa Hughes and 2 others like this.
  9. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

I'd recommend a pro, but I know a lot of people on my football team do this and love it.

Arem likes this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

A lot of Jiu Jitsu gals do undercuts and love them. If my hair wasn’t so thin, I’d get one myself! I think they’re awesome.

I’d recommend getting it professionally done, though. If you mess it up, growing it out will take a long time.

ginster likes this.