Undercover High.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBChoice, Jan 13, 2018.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Anybody watch the first episode of Undercover High on A&E?
    I'm watching it right now. I live close to that high school, so I'm really interested to see this series. It's basically the "worst" high school in our town.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

No, it sounds interesting though. I cut cable a year ago and went to a digital box and just rent movies. Idk about where you're at, but my cable bill was ridiculous. If also don't have a smart TV for streaming.

That's cool you know the school. ;)

3. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Out of pure curiosity what do they do?

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Like what's the show about?
    It's about 7 adults that go undercover and pretend to be high school students again to see what it is like to be a high school student now. The filming crews were in the school a while before the show started, so the kids were told that they were just filming to see what high school was like for students.

Pirate likes this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Um. Okay. I guess just asking High School students is not enough to believe the struggle?
    Just like those people who need to wear fat suits so they can appreciate the fat shaming overweight people are experiencing every day.
    Why not just listen to people? Are they incapable of empathy?

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I think the problem is that kids are not very open about certain problems. So far the first episode showed that the one undercover adult (who is quite pretty) was being harassed by the boys at the school. They were asking for her number and when she wouldn't give it to them, they'd turn into complete jerks and call her names. I doubt most kids are going to admit to being like that to an adult. I know when I was in high school I kept it to myself whenever someone was bullying me on social media.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am german. I follow a few accounts on both tumblr and ig that frequently share the horror stories of high school life in America.
    The kids are open. Maybe not all but enough to get a clue.

8. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Ginster, while it's great that you are able to have a complete understanding of the experience of the American teenager at school without being one... I think most people would be interested in the undercover experience. I hardly think it makes them "incapable of empathy" to have interest in immersion in another culture or the experience to understand it better.

Tumblr is just like any other social media site. There is a lot of image creation/imagination going on... online personas. I would not use it as an authority on experience. Many people might overplay or underplay their experiences just like they would on IG or FB or in an online game.

Personally, I feel out of touch with the school experience and I've only been out a decade. 13 year old girls look like 20 year old girls, cyber bullying is insane, and have you ever seen common core math? :alien: It's a brave new world as these kids grow up basically in a much more global and connected world than any generation before.

I'd like to catch this show. I feel nervous sometimes about having kids when I read the headlines. But it would be good to really see it all in action.

VermilionStrife and NBChoice like this.
  9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I hated high school. No way I'd want to go back, and i already feel sorry for my kid having to grow up and endure that hell.

I'm trying to teach her to be really open to me in case situations do arise, she can come to me and talk about it, bc I know I sure as heck didn't have that luxury with my mom.

Arem and NBChoice like this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I never said I had complete understanding. But if you see what teens share online you get how tough it is.
    It is not as if a show like that will show more than the experience of a few either.

I am certainly thankful that the school system here in Germany is different from the US, our classes are not as huge and it is not as test-driven.
    Bullying was a problem when I was in school, but compared to what you read from teens today, what we experienced was tame.
    At least cyber bullying wasn´t a thing since my time in school predates the internet.

ChestersMomma likes this.