Uncontrollable spasms - Having trouble identifying cause of issue

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by KNicoleV, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:41 AM.

1. KNicoleV

KNicoleV Registered

Hi All,
    My vet and I are trying to work out the cause of my 7 year old Australian Thoroughbreds issue - It goes up and down, some days he wont do it at all, other days it happens often. When I ride or he is doing something it doesn't happen (even if he just walks with me). We are struggling to work it out. We have blood tests etc pending, however thought I would post to see if anyone else has seen this before?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 3:55 AM
  2. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

It really looks neurological to me but what exactly? Best of luck to you, keep us updated.

KNicoleV likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Looks like, since he's sweaty and wet, you just got off him, so it's happening after exercise, am I right? If so, it could be a mild form of narcolepsy. His body is trying to go to sleep and he is fighting it. His eyes look sleepy and glassy, from what I could see.

4. KNicoleV

KNicoleV Registered

Thank you @manesntails it could be however, it happens even pre ride when he is just standing around in his paddock. He has had teeth checked, vaccinations all up to date. I reached out to previous owner and they noted he did it with them (wasn't shared with me prior) I gave him a week or so off and it still happened the morning before i rode this day (i took video of pre and post however was the same behaviour so not brought on from work), vet said okay to work lightly. I am just waiting for bloods to return, but i can only imagine the frustration of something like this for him.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If it isn't anything to do with a health issue, the only other thing I can think of is that it is a tic. A nervous reaction he has developed to cope with stress.

Alsosusieq2 and doublelranch like this.
  6. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

I am thinking neurological. Do you have ticks there? If so, have you had him tested for things like Lymes Disease? West Nile? EPM?

Is there anything in his lines that would suggest a hereditary disease? Do you know if his sire or dam had something like this? Just wondering out loud. How about an electrolyte or mineral deficiency?

Has he been doing this since you bought him?

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

PSSM? EPSM?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I went through this not long ago. New horse had a strange stall vice that made him act like he had something stuck in his teeth and also banged his throatlatch on top rail (hard! and always 3 times). Cured his ulcers, gave him a buddy with 24/7 turnout, and he quit completely.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

10. slc

slc Senior Member

The horse has done it since you got him, the previous owners said he did it while they had him, and he doesn't do it when he's more occupied, such as when he's being ridden or led, is that right?

How long did the previous owner have him? And he showed this the whole time they had him? So then could we say he's been doing this for at least a year? Two? Longer?

So would you say he only does this before work, after work? Would you say as a hard and fast rule that he NEVER does this while being ridden or worked or led?

Is he turned out on pasture? Is it fairly well established good pasture, or rather weedy and bare?

Is there any sign of any other muscle tremor while he does this? Any tremors or twitches in the muscles of the back, hind quarter, neck, shoulder?

When did horse last have his teeth done and what kind of health care provider did his teeth (technician, vet with an exclusive dental practice, a general vet, etc)? Has he had any teeth pulled or broken any teeth?

Does the horse show any spots or sores or pustules on the gums above his teeth, even just rather small spot or even just one spot?

Did the horse have a complete prepurchase exam when you bought him? Any signs of chronic pain or problems?

What type of bit and bridle do you ride him in?

Does this behavior occur in the dark? Or only in bright sunshine? Winter, summer, all year round?

Any sign of eye or nostril discharge? Any bleeding from nostrils?

Is there any indication the horse was injured on the face?

Have you done a trial of blocking pain in the face to determine if facial pain is involved(a painkilling injection is done in various parts of the face, and then see if the symptoms stop).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM