Ultium competition not working....

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BipolarHonor, Aug 1, 2018.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

My gelding is currently on

6lbs ultium competition
    2lbs amplify
    2oz ulcer aide
    Joint supplement

Split into 2 feedings in addition to a MINIMUM of 12 hours a day on pasture. I can add additional grain at a third midday feeding but I feel like at this amount of this grain he should at least be maintaining his weight and he isnt he is dropping. All my others are maintaining or gaining with less grain than what he is getting. If you were to switch from ultium competition what would be your go to for weight gain. Right now he is ridden a max of 4 days a week half hour each time slowly building him up to longer rides and more days. His hind end is still weak but he is using it more.

I have easy access to Triple Crown and Legends along with the Purina but outside of Ultium there isnt really a purina feed I want for him. I could possibly find other feeds also

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Why is he on ulcer aide? Do you suspect ulcers?

What forage does he get when he's not on pasture?

3. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Needs more forage

manesntails likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I generally much prefer TC over Purina. I'd probably personally switch him to TC Senior because I'm a huge fan of it. Then I'd give him all the hay he will eat when not on pasture. If he is already getting all the hay he will eat, I'd add alfalfa, baled or cubes, and lastly if he needed more yet I'd bump up the TCS to 8 lb/day. This is assuming there are no health issues going on, like ulcers.

ibsammy likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

"Ultium not working"

Keep in mind that 85-90% of the horse's calories and nutrition comes from the forage you select to feed him.

6. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I'm also a huge fan of triple crown senior along with free choice hay, and if needed, some alfalfa.

ibsammy likes this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Ultium has a high NSC doesn't it? Feeding him an ulcer aid along with a high NSC grain is counter productive and I wouldn't be shocked if it's the sugar that's the issue. I had the same problems with my mare.

8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I would try this having my own TB that needs his feed micromanaged ...add alfalfa get rid of all soy (and corn), get him on a vitamin and mineral package (look at california trace plus) and add back soaked beep, straight oats, mccauleys omega bran...i think you need fat instead. The changes need to be made gradually

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Agree Ultium was second to Safe Choice Original in the bad corn grains my horse got over the years and contributed to making him insulin resistant.

This is what Ultium and stall rest from a pulled tendon did him back in 2014, he also got hind gut ulcers, note the lumpy tummy. I think the corn in the grain actually contributed to his tendon issues. Now off of corn and he has now has balance.
    FoxyLumpyTummy04122014.jpg
    He is now on Triple Crown Senior. Him last week. FoxyJuly242018.jpg

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Hay puts weight on, grain provides energy. Feed more high quality hay. A flake of alfalfa 3x a day and free choice hay the rest of the time.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.