Ulcers ...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by kodemiester, Sep 30, 2018.

1. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

That is excellent to know! These are the ones im using which seems to be the ones you have used! She is on day 4, not noticing any changes yet.

Attached Files:

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

It takes a couple of days for any Omeprazole to decrease the acid production and then a few days of healing before you will notice a difference. When we pretreat for travel we always start 2 days before the travel.

I gave 3 of the Nexium clear mini capsules in a German Muffin for a 1000 Lb horse. Technically it would be 2 pills but if any of the granules crush they are no longer effective, and I surmise that many get crushed in the process.

kodemiester likes this.
  3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

All of this info about Nexium is good to know!! Roger, my 6 YO WP horse has ulcers. He was scoped last year, did 30 days of the Ulcerguard paste at $30 a tube!!!!! The move from MA to CA caused some internal stress so we did 1/4 of a tube a day for his first month in CA. He gets alfalfa hay at my trainer's in CA, where he didn't when he was in CT. I'm going to go the Nexium route from now on!

Arem, kodemiester and Faster Horses like this.
  4. kodemiester

Ive been giving her 3 of the minis per day. From what ive read 2 would be sufficient but wanting to make extra shee she gets the dosage and doesnt crunch one. Also trying to keep a hay bag infront of her at all times.. our hay has some alfalfa in it so im sure that is helping a little.

DocsLglyBlonde and mooselady like this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

What is her grain? Corn based grains tend to affect the hind gut.

6. kodemiester

She is on strategy. Thinking about switching her to something different though but havent fully decided.

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yep, corn based grain. I would look at something without corn in it. That's the first corn grain that started Foxy on his way to hind gut ulcers and IR. And hind gut ulcers for Winnie too.

Its also just plain super high in starch, 18%, and a total of 25% NSC. That is really high for any horse.

8. kodemiester

Yeah ive heard alot of people dont like strategy because of the high NSC. I have access to quite a few of thr Triple Crown feeds, Nutrena and Purina feeds. I can also get my hands on Tribute Kalm n EZ with GC.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I use Triple Crown Senior for the low NSC and no corn. Only one store in our whole state carries Tribute. I know some people also swear by it like they do with Triple Crown Senior since it is also corn free.

kodemiester likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I like those Tribute Feeds....wish I could get them in my area. I would go with that one,.

kodemiester likes this.