Ulcers ...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by kodemiester, Sep 30, 2018.

1. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Would alfalfa cubes or pellets work to help buffer the acid? I can try to find alfalfa hay but not sure what quality I will find around here. Our hay is high quality alfalfa/grass mix, which she is being fed in a slow feed haynet right now.

If cubes work - how much and can i soak them a little? Always leary with the cubes that one might choke. Ive had one horse who couldnt have them dry.

2. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Yep! Soaking the cubes also helps. I prefer the pellets, but that's just me

3. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I've used zantac 75 in the past and alfalfa cubes.

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Cubes or pellets are good! I honestly always soak both, but especially cubes. A pound or two a day is probably a good start, building up to that of course. I'd split that into as many meals as possible to buffer throughout the day :)

5. kodemiester

Good to know that pellets or cubes would work. Think ill give her some before i work with her and im usually around for evening feed so she could probably get alfalda cubes 2x a day. Think Ill see if anyone i know has alfalfa bales for sale for a reasonable price. Might be easier to put that in her haynets while im trying to figure out if ulcers is whats bothering her.

Larkspade and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I use alfalfa pellets, dry. They are cheaper, easier to get and usually higher quality than cubes for me. Ask at your feed store. TSC carries both but I can get 50lbs of pellets at my feed store for less than 40 lbs at TSC. I am feeding 20lbs per day to my oldster and he is looking great. The pellets are all he gets, no grain and he cannot chew hay.

Arem and kodemiester like this.
  7. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

You could also try magnesium. Michigan is SUPER high in soil iron and chronically deficient in magnesium and selenium. I wouldn’t add selenium without a blood test but magnesium won’t hurt. I like remission from TSC. It’s fairky palatable and reasonably priced.

DelP likes this.
  8. kodemiester

Hmm. Now that Im reading more her symptoms are sounding more deficient in magnesium and not ulcers. Might be worth a try to pick some of that up.

9. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

My daughter's gelding as a 3 year old was scoped and diagnosed with ulcers. After 1 week in an equine hospital I couldn't afford Ulcerguard at 125 $ a syringe twice a day for a month when home.
    Mind me that was almost 20 years ago.
    Anyhow my vet recommended 3000mgs of Zantac twice a day for a month instead, did the trick.Now we treat him with Zantac before and after stress situations.
    My gelding gets Daily Gold with No molasses Senior food and Bermuda. He will eat the alfalfa way too fast(easy keeper so no Alfalfa anymore ) and eats the Bermuda throughout the day and night. My vet said that the saliva being produced by eating Alfalfa helps to coat the lining of the stomach.
    Since my horse is on a dry lot with only 1 other horse his cribbing and ulcers are almost all controlled. He was with 4 mares and another gelding, grinding his teeth and having to eat his hay so rapidly it was gone in less than 45 minutes.
    So I believe as mentioned it's the environment for our horses that almost always is the culprit of ulcers and behavior issues.
    Change the environment ,the training techniques ,the feed, listen to your horse and things will be improved in no time

DocsLglyBlonde and LoveTrail like this.
  10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We did a little barn trial with the show horses this past summer.

The new Nexium mini pill that is a capsule with delayed enteric coated omeprazole worked as well as ulcer guard. I did not find the Nexium tablets to be as effective I think this is because the tablet gets crushed.