Ulcers ...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by kodemiester, Sep 30, 2018.

1. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Easy to feed, cheap options to help relieve ulcer symptoms until Abler order gets here? I put the order in today so it will be 7-14 business days. I have heard Aloe Juice helps? Suggestions please :)

2. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

A good pre probiotic will work wonders.

kodemiester likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Tums, though I think you need to feed quite a few. Aloe juice is good. Alfalfa is good. Anything you do though really needs to be given multiple times per day, because all it will do is either reduce stomach acid or "coat the stomach" to some extent, but are all very short acting (hence why Omeprazole is so effective, because it's long acting). Hopefully your Abprazole arrives speedily :)

GotaDunQH and kodemiester like this.
  4. kodemiester

I will look into this. If not to start now, for sure when she is off the ulcer treament.

Thats where Im struggling.. trying to find something that lasts a while with out breaking the bank. Horses at my barn are fed at 6-7 am (grain and hay), 11am (only hay), 4-5pm(grain/hay) and then another flake at 9-10pm or so. Our hay has some alfalfa in it so she is getting some of that. Also fed in a slow feed net so she has more to munch on longer.

Thinking the aloe juice could be doable. Trying to make BOs life easy. Im usually out there 1x a day so I could feed it once a day myself too.

5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

You can do ranitidine at 6.6mg/kg - they are 300mg tablets so you'll usually do about 10 tablets every 8 hours. You can get it at Walmart for pretty cheap

GotaDunQH likes this.
  6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I treated my horse entirely with human OTC Nexium. Three pills once a day for a month, taper down to two pills once a day for a week, then down to one pill once a day for a week.

Easy to feed, toss it right in the grain and the horses don't even notice. Incredibly cheap as well, especially since there is a generic on the market now.

7. kodemiester

Hmm. This is quite tempting to try. Is it worth trying for a week or two before spending the $ on abler? I was having issues with the site last night and ended up not being able to get it ordered.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I was just going to say I'd caution mixing meds, so would probably not use ranitidine or Nexium then switch to Omeprazole. Nexium or the generic is a very similar makeup and effect to Omeprazole, and with the members here who have had positive results, it may be worth a try! I have tons of excess Abprazole I'd offer up, but I'm too afraid to deplete my stash :rolleyes: :barefoot:

kodemiester likes this.
  9. Faster Horses

Personally? I'd can the ham on the Abler and just use Nexium.

Google Nexium for horse ulcers. Huuuuuge thread of success on....a competing horse forum. ;)

GotaDunQH and kodemiester like this.
  10. Faster Horses

Oh! I also noticed a change in my horse's attitude within a few days of starting Nexium.

For reference: he was off the track, had surgery, probably stall rest, was fed sweet feed (and kind of a lot of it), and he'd just been moved to my place. His guts were a mess!!!!

Alsosusieq2 and kodemiester like this.