Ulcer Med Help

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MzCarol, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I gave three of the mini capsules once a day for a full month. And then gradually tapered off for another four weeks.

waresbear likes this.
  2. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

For those of you who used Nexium.. how long did it take to see results?

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

She was eating better after about three days. Kept getting better from there.

kodemiester likes this.
  4. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I dont see how that could really clear up the ulcers because the math says it would take about 80+ pills to meet the required dosage of omeprazole.

Dosage is 1.8mg/lb. For a 1200lb horse that is 2160mg. 2160 ÷ by 20mg/nexium capsule = 108 capsules.....A DAY!!

Believe me when i say i dont have money to burn. I dont understand how people who say they love their horses so much put in substandard effort to treat their horse. Are they even scoping first to find out what type of ulcers? Because they arent all treated the same. Im looking at a hefty bill but I had the answers I needed and treated correctly to give my horse the best possible chance at recovery.

3 capsules is only 60 mg and far far less than needed to promote true healing.

5. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Not saying I know what I'm talking about at all, so take it with a grain of salt. The way a horse processes meds is a lot slower I believe, and takes less per pound to medicate compared to say a dog. A horse dosage for Previcox can be one pill a day, but a dog can take over 3 pills at a time depending on weight.

Mcdreamer and kodemiester like this.
  6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I had treated with ranitidine previously and that was like 18 tablets twice a day (I was also treating with doxy at the same time).

The ranitidine helped significantly. A few months later when I moved the mare I did nexium to combat the stress of moving and a new place. The three mini capsules were the standard dose as per dr Google. And it did make a huge difference.

MzCarol likes this.
  7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I dont usually scope for ulcers unless a horse is actively showing signs of it, but omeprazole and ranitidine are such safe medications, using them preventatively doesnt hurt anything. I'm curious for those of you who used such small doses on the nexium - were ulcers diagnosed or just suspected ? I could see the lower dose help prevent full blown ulcers.

MzCarol likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I have only used the Nexium as preventative after treating with Omep. powder from the vet. I have treated twice on two different horses who tested positive from 'pressure point reactions'. Neither were scoped, and I trusted my vet's opinion along with the horses' behaviour and failing condition. The powder only cost me $175 (no-name brand from pharmacy) for the whole treatment unlike some horror stories I have heard of. The last horse I had a workup done on was away from home with a different vet. He took a stool sample and got a negative for blood. This horse was one previously treated and not suspected for ulcers at the time. It was just part of the whole exam. I had him on Nexium as prevention since he was away in a stressful situation which seemed to be a trigger for him.

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I guess I never felt that it was substandard care. I felt it was something I could pick up IMMEDIATELY to give relief right away. So that's what I did, went to the store right after stumbling across the info (which was within a very short time of getting the horse).

My other option was to wait a couple days for a vet visit.

I took a gamble and saw changes before I would have been able to have a vet out.

Who knows, maybe the diet change and being out 24/7 did more than the Nexium. Guess we will never know.

10. Serenity06

Serenity06 Senior Member

I treated my yearling with a compound, he had actively bleeding ulcers. We scoped before to find them, 3 weeks in, and then in another 3 weeks. In 3 weeks after starting treatment the compound had done a FANTASTIC job but the ulcers weren’t quite healed, so we continued for another 3 weeks.

My older gelding had very mild ulcers and the compound healed them in 4 weeks.

It was a paste compound from Precision Pharmacy that my yearling LOVED the flavor of! He would grab the tube himself so dosing was a breeze!

My boss uses ranitidine. I will probably use the Nexium trial on my new OTTB because quite frankly I have enough vet bills and personal things right now. Will I scope her? No. Only because I have so much money in other things with the vet on her that take priority. My vet recommended Nexium and at 4 pills a day because she’s a large mare. Calling it substandard care is like saying giving your child Tylenol because they have a fever and you want immediate relief and to see if that works BEFORE going to the Dr or ER.