Ulcer Med Help

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MzCarol, Nov 27, 2018.

1. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

My vet and I had a long talk about compound alternatives and at the end of the discussion I understood why I wouldn't want to use them. They haven't been tested by the FDA but other tests have shown that compounds don't contain consistent medication and I really don't want to pay for something that might not have any medication in it at all (one packet of something might contain enough, the next one not as much and the next one nothing at all). To me, that's too much money to pay for a "maybe" even if it is cheaper than Gastrogard.

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Equisure is AWESOME

MzCarol likes this.
  3. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Ayah was scoped last Friday and out of 3 stages of ulcers she's right in the middle with stage 2 :( She's pretty irritated in there :( I was fascinated to watch the scope - I hadn't seen one in a very long time.

Of course the doc prescribed Gastrogard but he also prescribed Doxycycline and Sucralfate.

The vet sells GG for...*wimper* $42/tube with a $5 rebate per tube. I'd already done some investigating and found it online for $31.50 which was $7 cheaper than the vet including the rebate. When I went to order it I found that 12+ tubes brought the price down to $29.99/ea WHOOP! The order will be here tomorrow so I'll return the rest of what the vet left me.

Ayah seems a bit brighter in her eyes and more relaxed in her demeanor. Yesterday I sat the saddle on her and was able to get it cinched with minor stink eye which is loads better than the complete avoidance and the "I want to kill you" stare.

I'll ride Chevy this week for my lesson and hopefully resume riding Ayah over the weekend.

It's confirmed that she's a sensitive horse so now I'm on the hunt for a supplement I can give her daily to hopefully keep this from recurring.

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Let me know what you choose

MzCarol likes this.
  5. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

Your choice. I've had a gastric scope done before and after a 30 day compounded treatment on several horses and they were healed or almost completely. 2 different equine vets plus the one I work for had it compounded for me . I've used Gastrogard too with good post scope results. I always do 30 days of Equishure too.

6. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Your situation is unique in that you knew the people putting yours together. Most do not and buy, say, Abler online. This is my heart horse and I did what was right for me in my heart concerning her.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  7. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

These vets used Precision Pharmacy and MedShop Pharmacy. They didnt personally do it:)

I understand your decision...was just explaining mine. I hope your girl feels better soon.

8. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Ayah was scoped today after her 28 days on GG, doxycycline and sucralfate and was given the all clear :)

She is not totally clear as there is an area at the junction of her stomach and small intestine that is commonly difficult to completely clear up. Its more an anitomical issue that cant be changed. The vet was very pleased with what he saw.

We now wean her from the meds and proceed with supportive care so hopefully she doesnt flare up again. She is just a sensitive horse that will need careful oversight and more thoughtful management from here (i.e. give her a buffer before doing just about anything)

9. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

How much did you give daily and for how long?

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

They can charge an arm and a leg because they hold the patent and thus a monopoly. The patent is due to expire in the next year or two which will allow other companies to manufacture it and the competition will bring the cost down.

kodemiester likes this.