Ulcer Med Help

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MzCarol, Nov 27, 2018.

1. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Ayah's got em :( Well, we will confirm she has them next Friday when the vet comes to scope her - but all signs point in that direction.

My question is treatment. I know that people have used Abler products rather than the wallet-sucking Gastrogard and I'm looking for opinions, reviews, etc from people. I mentioned it to my vet and he doesn't support Abler because there isn't any research behind it to support claims either way. Also, there isn't just one kind of ulcer and different types need different methods of treatment.

The cost of Gastrogard is going to be painful, especially this time of year, but if that's what needs to be then it's what we do.

In the meantime we're going to add alfalfa cubes to her meals and she will still have free choice grass hay in nibble nets as always. She doesn't get grain but does get McCauley's M10 Ration Balancer.

2. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I used Nexium with a rehab mare a few years back. The mini capsules. Way more economical and easier. gastroguard is the gold standard and they know it which is why they can charge an arm and a leg. I first treated the mare with ranitidine and then a few months later with Nexium. Saw a huge improvement.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Faster Horses likes this.
  4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Yes! Nexium cleared up my OTSTB who also had surgery before coming to me. Poor dude had fantastic care but moving to my place was the straw that broke the camel's back and his ulcers raged.

I gave three Nexium once a day, tossed it in the feed pan, for four weeks. Then one week of 2 pills once a day, then one week of 1 pill once a day. I also fed Equishure to prevent hindgut ulcers.

CarlisleChipper and ginster like this.
  5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

There's also a huuuuge thread of success on another forum that shall not be named on here. ;) You can either google Nexium for horses or I can PM the thread at lunchtime.

MzCarol likes this.
  6. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Thanks for that info!

7. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

There was an educational talk on gastric ulcers at an expo I recently went to. The presenter said that Omeprazole based products are your best bet as the first line of treatment. Omeprazole blocks acid secretion which allows healing to take place. He said it was important to get the horse re-scoped at the 3-4 week mark to check that the treatment dose has been successful before lowering it to the maintenance dose.

He said that the horse doesn't need to stay on the medication permanently. The expense means a lot of people find it more cost efficient to take the horse off the medication once the ulcers have healed, then re-scope every couple of months to determine when the horse needs to go back on medication again. Ideally you would adjust your management strategy to eliminate the cause of the gastric ulcers rather than simply waiting for the ulcers to re-emerge. This is where prebiotics, probiotics and other gut soothing supplements can be of some assistance. But he stressed that those supplements are not a scientifically proven form of treatment. If the horse has existing ulcers you really need Omeprazole if you want them to heal. Once they ulcers have healed (confirmed by re-scoping) you can go for gold experimenting with supplements, but do not use them as a first line of treatment.

He also said Equisure was good for hind gut ulcers, which are not effectively treated by Omeprazole.

MzCarol and LoveTrail like this.
  8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I had success with Nexium but I found that that I had to specifically use the “mini” capsule with the enteric coated balls inside and not the tablet or the regular capsule.

MzCarol likes this.
  9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

When my mare had ulcers my vet sold me generic omeprezole. Which, I now take as well because I'm on so many pain killers. It's cheap from the pharmacy

10. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

You can get your vet to order you compounded Omeprazole from MedShop Pharmaceutical. 28 day treatment for $250.

MzCarol likes this.