Ugh,disunited canter both directions

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Try on a straight line.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

no no no no no Garfield, they don't ride him.

3. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Take a video and post it.

4. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Manes is very correct, I retrain OTSTBs and many an Amish horse and while a driving horse is usually broke to death, they have issues that need to be addressed before asking too much physically out of them. While a driving horse can be in great shape, their backs are not used to carrying weight, factor in a hard overcheck, and some have serious back and neck issues. Also, driving horses have no idea what leg cues are, and can be very heavy in the bridle (my own OTSTBs issue). I spend a lot of time just at the walk, this builds up their back muscles, teaches them leg and seat cues, and getting them lighter in the bridle. I don't even think canter for at least 30-60 rides in.

Take Manes advice, have a good farrier check out those back feet, work on slowly building up his back strength, and he should be at least a solid riding partner. Best of luck!

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Thank you,yes I have been taking it slow finding the useable horse he once was.Apparently he was owned the first 9 years of his life by someone .Then returned to the breeder after 9 years.He just then was broke to drive and was a driving horse for his last three years before finding his way to me.
    I will have all potential issues addressed then will find out what his potential is.
    I agree with the back and neck issues.The back is pretty much back to normal.The neck not so much thus the chiro comes out routinely once a month.
    He was very hard in the bridle I have a nice soft mouth on him now.
    Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    manesntails likes this.
  6. RG NIGHT HEIR

Yeah,I m not sure what the diameter is but will ask my trainer when out again.
    Thanks

7. RG NIGHT HEIR

Vet was out on Sunday for Chiropractic and Legend injection.Per the Vet there is nothing really bodywise that would cause Chip to cross canter. He did mention that it is very easy for Chip to do due to his long back and high hip.
    Farrier was out today he took a bit more toe on his hind feet,but doesn't think it's the culprit.My trainer lightly work him bitted up and he seemed better.As soon as he tired a bit he cross cantered.So sounds like with more conditioning and proper body posture he might be just fine.
    Hopefully......

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    LoveTrail likes this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't ask this horse to work in a round pen. He DOESN'T need it. Driving horses can't do small circles. Think about that. Why not?

Because you can't do donuts with a semi tractor and trailer. The cart would turn over, wouldn't it? Work in straight lines No need to tire him before you ride, just get on and walk on a loose rein.