Udder Cleaning

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by HorseGurly143, Dec 22, 2006.

1. HorseGurly143

HorseGurly143 Senior Member+

I know this is similar to my last thread about sheath cleaning. Are you supposed to clean your mares udder, or can you leave it alone? If you do clean it, how are you supposed to do it?

2. SuZQuzie

SuZQuzie Senior Member+

I clean my mare's udders about one a month. Gunk from sweat, dirt, or other mysterious thing get stuck up in there and it is good to get it all out every once and a while. If your mare threatens to kick you, attempt to clean more gently, with drugs, a combination of the two, or not at all. It is a very sensitive area for the mare (as one may expect) and she won't take it lightly if you slip.

My mare is very good about it and tolerates it nicely, but I have seen some mares flip over in the crossties in an attempt to protect their goods.

To clean, a generally only use luke warm water and my hands. One may be able to use soap, but I have never felt the need to.

3. wrightdanes

wrightdanes Senior Member

Nope never clean them - our horses live a natural life ouside in the dirt. Watch out when their in heat - some mares get pretty ticklish around there. The sebum the skin secretes is antibacterial in natural and keeps the udder soft and less likely to crack.

4. SuZQuzie

SuZQuzie Senior Member+

What about the gunk in between them? What if they are having a foal?

5. Limmerick

Limmerick Senior Member+

i generally just use the same stuff I clean my geldings sheaths with...Excalibur..and scrub around with some gauze pads on their udders and pick out the gunk in between. The touchy ones get over it if you go about it properly...and it is good for if you ever decide you want to breed them in the future, they are using to having their udders handled.

6. Laury

Laury Senior Member

My mare will actually spread her legs wider to help me get the gunk off her! I use the Excalibur, too.

7. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Senior Member+

I wet, lather, let it soak, pick away at it, then rinse. lol. I also use excalibur. My pony mare grunts when I do her. lol. I clean them twice a year at the most.~Brit

8. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Senior Member+

do you ride your horses?

9. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

Some of the dirt near the udder can be beneficial to the horse. But for my own mares comfort she prefers to have it clean. She too will stand spread eagle and grunt with pleasure when I clean her udder. LOL Also some horses, and this is the case with mine, will rub their tails out because their udder gets itchy from all the gunk.

How often you clean the udder will depend on your mare, how much she is ridden, what her turnout is like etc. But every now and again, maybe every two months or so I will check my mares udder. Then I just pick off the flakes with my fingers. Since I'm not using soap I'm not stripping the beneficial stuff away from her. It makes your fingers gross but at least you won't loose your mares tail.

10. GO-X-COUNTRY

GO-X-COUNTRY Senior Member+

I clean my mare's about once a month. I've pulled leaves out of there. I don't use soap or oils though. I just use water and pick away. As tempermental as my mare can be, she has never once gotten upset by me cleaning her!