Tying Issues

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Peanut Palomino, May 9, 2018.

1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Issues with tying is not something I have much experience with. Peanut never had issues tying, even the first ever time he was tied, so I never learned how to correct these things.

The mare I'm leasing has learned that she can break free from things she's tied to. She's a 12 year old appendix who previously tied wonderfully, she even ground ties pretty well.

A couple weeks ago her owner took her to a show (at a place she's been to many times before) and she freaked out while tied to the trailer and got a little banged up (nothing serious though, just a few scrapes). Last weekend she went to another show at the same place and she had another freak out while tied to the trailer and broke the trailer tie ring. Her owner then retied her to a sturdy post--- she freaked out again and broke her halter (not a break away, just a regular nylon halter).

Today, I had the mare tied in the arena at her home barn. No one was around, all was quiet. She seemed totally chill. But while I was picking her feet, she pulled back a little. As soon as she felt the pressure on the halter she freaked out and pulled back HARD. I tried to reach the quick release but she broke the tie ring and took off before I could reach it. She seemed pretty nervous, so I hand walked her a little and brought her back and continued grooming with her ground tied. I didn't try to retie her because 1) not my horse 2) no one was around if things went south.

Her owner will be the one tackling his issue and I'm sure she's more than capable of fixing it, BUT... I wanted to start a thread and hear how others would approach it. Keep in mind this is a horse who has had NO previous issues with tying.

So, what would you do?

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Clinton Anderson has a really good YouTube video for fixing a horse who pulls back. It wasn't a tying issue after all, it was a respect/ obedience/ giving to pressure problem. They did the ground work and it fixed the tying issue. If i find it, I'll link it.

manesntails and Peanut Palomino like this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I like using a blocker tie. Neither of my horses pulls back but if the occasion arose that they were badly startled, the blocker tie allows the rope to give a little. Not enough to set the horse loose but enough so it doesn't just tighten without a release.

Arem and Peanut Palomino like this.
  5. Peanut Palomino

There is a blocker tie in the arena. I called the mare's owner after the incident and she said I could try using the blocker, but I've never used one before. That'll likely be what I'll use going forward.

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Belly rope. Posted the method on here a billion times. MiKael's Mania - Arabian Horses: The Mike Neal Halter Clinic - The Belly Band Theory
    And can also have a whip and push them back forward from behind as they're pulling. But, youd better be quick and have good timing.
    I do not use blocker ties at all, and would not recommend it for this because a pulling horse will eventually get the rope lose and still get the reward of being released out of being tied. Which is counter productive.
    You say the owner is capable of fixing it, but how did this problem come about in the first place ?

NaeNae and endurgirl like this.
  7. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

I second the ground work and using the tie blocker ring. A horse that used to tie and had an event that caused a fright, panic pull back would benefit from the tie blocker because it will help the horse get over the claustrophobia that hitting the end of the lead causes. Give the horse a chance to relearn that being tied is not a bad thing, adjust the tie ring (long length of lead loaded at some tension) to allow the horse to have some lead, and follow the method and I bet the horse will soon forget to "freak" from tension on the halter.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Using either of the last two should work, especially I'd you set her up on the tackle to work with her.

9. Peanut Palomino

No idea. This is a new lease. I didn't previously know the owner or horse (only been out there a few times). I also wasn't at that initial show when she hurt herself on the trailer (or the next show).
    I imagine the issue came about from getting hurt while tied to the trailer, but again, I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you for sure.
    The owner does seem capable of fixing it, from what I've seen of her.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. pippy

pippy Senior Member

I would probably turn the horse loose with the lead attached and let her stand on her own rope. Probably do it multiple times. Just to start with.Let the horse figure out that pressure on the rope/halter isn't anything to panic about again.

Then probably do a few sessions with a long line, in a ring up high over the horses head, and use a whip to keep driving the horse back to the fence. You give when the horse goes back and use the whip to put her back in place, then relax. Have someone else bang around etc, and repeat when the horse goes to go back.

My old horse was a funny one about tying. When he was good he was really good, but anything that startled him and he hit the end, he panicked - in that case the blocker tie was a life saver for me, his panic only lasted long enough to have the space to jump back 3 ft, then he stopped on his own. But if he hit anything hard he would keep fighting to get free, and often did when on the trailer at shows, I had to stop going for a while unless stables/yards were provided. But once using the blocker we were off again and it was awesome.

But I wouldn't have that as the go to on this horse yet, do some work first to see what she does.