TWH from Bastrop

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Happy Jumper, Nov 4, 2016.

1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Agree with most. This horse can and will gait. Just needs time. And walking. Lots and lots of walking. When your sick to death of walking...walk some more ;) :p

He's a nice looking boy and was very kind with the rider in the last round of video.
    If you put some spit and polish on him (and maybe save the rusty riders until he's less rusty himself) you're going to have yourself one heck of a ride (y)

2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Another consideration for finding the gaits beside walking for 100 miles is finding a competent farrier who knows how to correctly trim so the breakover is correct and the hoof is balanced. Our rescued TWH mare could not maintain the signature gaits until an ELPO farrier trimmed her----after that first trim, we discovered she has 8 identifiable gaits.

TWH's tend to be friendly and people oriented, even after years of abuse if you treat them kindly and prove that they are finally safe where the abuse is in their past. They are also extremely versatile, up to trying any discipline you throw at them.

VermilionStrife and Happy Jumper like this.
  3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I've been riding Walkers off and on for about 3 years now, coming from a strict cowbred QH background, it's been a learning curve. I'd definitely suggest finding a trainer that specializes in gaited horses to get him back into shape and teach you how to ride each gait he has to offer. It would also be beneficial to find someone that owns a been there, hard wired to gait horse and learn how each one feels so you can tell when your own Walker wants to break gait before he does it. Once you ride a Walker that knows nothing but gaits and doesn't pace, you'll never want to go back to anything that DOESN'T gait.

This dude can go for miles in a rack and not miss a beat. We walk, A LOT. And when I say a lot I mean MILES of walking. Your goal for a good walk is the "stripper" walk, which looks exactly how you're picturing it. Loose and swinging, like a lady in heels doing her "sexy" walk across the stage. And it is comfortable. I'll ask for a gait here and there, and as soon as he picks it up and holds it on his own without my help, I'll bring him back down to a walk. He is a gaiting FOOL. The last ride I had on him, I let him rack for quite a while but I kept his speed on the slower sides of things. He's pretty good at keeping himself together on a loose rein, you can see my reins swinging in the video. I can't wait until I can add speed into the mixture but doing the gait correctly is more important than doing it half assed but fast.

That "pucka pucka pucka" sound is just the coolest when it's echoing through the valleys I ride in.

He's a pretty cool guy. The ears forward in the video, with one swiveling back towards me? That's him all the time. He likes to go get things done haha.

[​IMG]

Congrats on your new guy. The work is absolutely worth it, and he seems to be pretty good minded. And, for the record, it's true that once you go gaited you never go back. So when the lone Walker in the pasture becomes two Walkers in the pasture, well, it happens haha.

ginster and Happy Jumper like this.
  4. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Thank you so much for your post! All great advice, and now I want to hear pucka puck pucka - haha!
    You guy is a beauty! Is the saddle you have on him made for gaited?

5. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

He's my FIL's gelding. It's a Tex Tan, and I believe it's a flex tree, but I can check. It seems to fit him pretty well.

Happy Jumper likes this.