1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

TWH from Bastrop

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Happy Jumper, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

I only watched the first video, but I saw him pacing, then trying to give you a canter, the when he turned you got a decent, but uneven running walk. He's got a lot of potential, he just needs to build up those muscles and find that happy speed. He looks like a very willing boy!

PyroTekNik333 and Happy Jumper like this.
  2. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Thanks, Orlando! He is very willing - tries hard to please. Pretty sure somewhere in his distant past, he was corrected a lot, so he seems worried about not doing things right. I/we have had him a week today. I've never had a TWH, and I am already in love with this guy. He was very shy a week ago, but is very responsive to love and is coming around beautifully!
    Here you can see the earnestness in his face ...

ginster likes this.
  3. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

And is it just my imagination or does his blaze resemble a sword/handle? ;)

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I don't think he was ever told when he did something right.. He acts like he's throwing a lot of different behaviors/gaits in the pot,trying to find what you want. Go slow,when he does something good,"Good Boy" Patpatpat.. Poor thing.

5. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

Happy, my colt was terrified at first, shook when you touched him, didn't want to be near people at all...almost a year later, he's the first one trotting up to meet you in the pasture, and loves to snuggle, go for walks...he's a total love hound now. Every twh I've met has been the same, incredibly capable of overcoming bad experiences and more than willing to please. Imo, they're a breed that doesn't get enough credit. I'm sure your pretty boy will be no different :)

mygirl1197 and Happy Jumper like this.
  6. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

This is exactly my interpretation. He is trying so hard to figure out what is being asked of him. I'm one of those (crazy? lol) people who carries on a nearly constant conversation with a horse (or dog) in training. It usually goes something like this: "that's it, yes, you got it, that's what I want, you are sooo smart, good job!, atta boy, easy, wait, c'mon, you can do it , lovely!" and so on. I find that they tune in to the slightest changes of inflection, they know what's working, and they're encouraged to keep trying till they hear that YES!!
    Terrible video quality (sorry about the wobbles while I tried to get a grip on the camera!) but here's an example of what I mean. I love watching his ears as he listens for reassurance. And the microphone doesn't catch how loud the squirrels were as they scrambled into their nest in the palm tree - LOUD rustling of dry palm fronds - I was amazed that it didn't freak him out!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

I am just now learning this! And I am impressed!

mygirl1197 likes this.
  8. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

He definitely has a super smooth gait in there. He is just out of shape and doesn't know what is asked of him. I have found that with my mare who will just as willingly pace as she will gait you have to "ride" the gait you want out of her. If you just sit there and go with the flow she will pace, if you sit the gait you want out of her she will do it all day long. I know that is easier said than done if you are new to TWHs. You have to know the gait to sit it.

Happy Jumper likes this.
  9. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Yup, there is gait in there, he is just woefully out of shape and with an unbalanced rider.

What bit are you using? It can vary wildly with many gaited horses, some like a mullen mouth and others can easily go bitless. The harsh bits or large shanks causes more problems than cures so avoid those at all costs. I honestly have great luck with a mullen mouth kimberwick with my gaited horses but for the first 2-3 weeks just use a simple 3 piece snaffle or mullen bit.

I cannot stress just walking the horse in a 4 beat frame for at least 2-3 weeks (this means consistent riding, not hopping on a couple times a week) and the "100 mile rule" should be called "The Golden Rule of Gait". I've yet to have a horse not gait smoothly after putting on walk miles.

The canter has moments of brilliance and then falls apart, this is nothing to be concerned about as he is woefully out of shape and cannot balance himself. Once you start walking and asking for a square gait, he will gain muscle and balance and then you can work on the intermediate gait and the canter last.

The pace is nothing to be concerned about, again, balance and being out of shape is the contributing factors here. Once you build up muscle memory for a 4 beat square walk, the Running Walk or Rack should be a lot easier to get and maintain.

He looks like a fun horse and once you both get more miles under your girths, should be a gaiting machine.

10. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

I'm loving all this info pouring in! And yes, he is horribly out of shape. I have the vet coming out to check him over - one particular concern is his left stifle. There is a bulge that seems to come and go, depending on his position. At first I thought it was a hematoma, since he knocked the edge of a gate last week (didn't see what part of him hit it, but could well be left stifle. However, it doesn't seem palpable or movable enough to be all fluid. So, potentially an x-ray and/or ultrasound will shed some light on that. I have no idea if it would affect his gait, though I'm sure his lack of condition does! I took a video of the lump and I need to shorten it - should I post it here?