1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

TWH from Bastrop

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Happy Jumper, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

At the slowest speed he shows the gait (a four beat gait same as the walk, just with more speed), but when he accelerates he switches to a pace. That's what feels uncomfortable. No idea how gaited horses are trained to show good gait at different speeds. I suggest you ask a specializes gaited horse trainer.

Happy Jumper likes this.
  2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

I think it was more his discombobulated gait than a true signature one. TWH's are noted for their rocking chair canter which is a far cry from flat and pacey. I'm confused by "pacey" description of a canter since a pace is a 2 beat lateral gait where the front and rear legs move in unison----the canter is a 3 beat gait and there is nothing lateral about it.

Happy Jumper likes this.
  3. prairiesongks

I agree that the horse is out of shape. The best advice we received from knowledgeable TWH owners after we rescued our 2 was to work the walk for 100 miles----and that's exactly what we did! The TWH gelding is hardwired to gait plus has a speed rack so he was easy to get en gait. The TWH mare has 8 identifiable "gears" so it was a learning curve to install the cues for which gaits I wanted. The one thing I learned as we were retraining them is that the mare is much slower at all gaits than the gelding and if I pushed her too hard, she resorted to some unidentifiable discombobulated gait.

For yours, try just working the dog walk, about the speed of any horse walking without worrying about anything else---this establishes muscle memory for the flat and running walk. Good Luck!

Happy Jumper likes this.
  4. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

To me, it looks like he gets a good gait going, then loses it and starts pacing. A bunch of miles on flat ground and he'll be gaiting along like a pro...love the freedom of that head Bob!

The pacey canter, it's basically a two beat offset gait. Your regular canter goes dadada-dadada-...a pacey canter goes dada-dada- it's lateral, uncomfortable, and looks as bad as it feels. Most twh that have an easy time with the three beat have a nice easy canter. The ones that are more pacey have a hard time adding that third beat.

PyroTekNik333 and Happy Jumper like this.
  5. prairiesongks

So the pacey canter would be the discombobulated gait.....

Happy Jumper likes this.
  6. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

As well as the pace itself... Riding a regular pace ( not the offset canter version) feels like being knocked back and forth from right to left at high speed. It sounds like a trot (da-da-, da-da-) but it's lateral. The pacey canter has two beats back to back, then that pause.

This video helps explain better than I can.

Happy Jumper likes this.
  7. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Which Bastrop? 'cause I live in Bastrop,Texas!

Happy Jumper likes this.
  8. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

9. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Ok guys - here are a couple of not so hot vids -
    This is NOT me riding - I never ride in sandals unless bareback! ;)

Thank you all so much for your input!

10. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

I didn't see an option to edit that last post, so I'll just add that this rider hasn't been on a horse in quite a few years, and her horses were older, rather lazy quarter horses. Considering her almost complete lack of control, I think the horse was confused but kind. And we really know nothing about his history or how much training he's had. When I take him out on the road, he's very curious about everything around him, but also very attentive to me and responsive to my voice. He has a nice walk - forward but not rushed, and when I ask him to move out a little bit, I'm pretty sure what he's doing is a running walk, because it's very smooth. In those 3 videos, did any of it look close to a running walk?