1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

TWH from Bastrop

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Happy Jumper, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Hi y'all! I'm new - please bear with me when I sound completely ignorant. I'm not - at least, not completely - lol! But my background is in TBs/jumpers, and I know zero about gaited horses.
    So, this new horse in my life was rescued from Bastrop Kill Pen a year ago, and has done nothing but be a yard pet and fatten up ever since. He is a sweetheart, and I love him already. I have some questions about his gaits. I realize that he's been out of work, he's out of shape, and I know nothing about his prior training. When I ride him, he has a nice, lilting gait that I presume is a running walk - pretty smooth till he gets going faster, and then it feels discombobulated. When I watch him in the pasture, he has a lovely, forward trot, then something I think might be a pace of sorts, and then an awkward, bunny hop sort of canter. I have no idea if his awkwardness is an indication of lack of training, being out of shape, or possibly a soundness issue. If I post a couple, of videos, will you guys let me know what you think?

Attached Files:

2. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

Nice horse!
    Lets see dem vids! :)

Happy Jumper likes this.
  3. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I'd say he is out of shape and needs some consistent riding to get him less rough at speed, For my pasture puffs headed back to work, I spend 2-3 weeks of just working in a 4 beat flat walk. This keeps them square and helps build up muscles to maintain gait smoothly. After I put some foundation on, then I ask for the intermediate gait, and I let them gait until they get rough, then I take them down to the 4 beat walk and then ask for gait again. As soon as I get a nice smooth gait, I take them back down to the walk, let them relax on a loose rein for a bit, then ask for the intermediate gait again. Keep the sessions short and not "drill" the horse, just keep asking for the walk when he gets rough, then bring him back to gait. He will build up his muscles and soon will be able to gait for longer and longer periods.

Have fun and Walkers are fantastic horses.

Friesiangirl, Happy Jumper and Sarai like this.
  4. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Thank you both! @Idrivetrotter, sounds like you know the routine! You'll probably get some laughs out of his clumsy canter.

peg4x4 likes this.
  5. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Your TWH apparently does not have the gaiting gene since he's only trotting in the videos----the trot is not a gait desired in TWH's. His canter really isn't a bunny hop, he's just not extending himself or getting impulsion from the hindquarters.

The TWH signature gaits of flat walk and running walk are an even 4 beat lateral gait with the sequence of left rear, left front, right rear, right front. The difference between the flat and running walk is the speed.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  6. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

My twh is a kill pen baby too :) he also trots naturally, but I can get him to gait on a lunge line ( he's an almost three year old, not broke yet)

I did see some evidence of a nice running walk in your vid, so I wouldn't worry to much that he "didn't get the gene".

I would start slow. A week of just a flat walk. Then a long time working on his running walk. The discombobulation your feeling could be him pacing. (a two beat, lateral gait) it's not smooth, and generally not wanted in riding horses. It looks like he's got a nice three beat canter.

Without seeing a video under saddle, it's hard to tell you where the fault in his gait is coming from.

But he is gorgeous!

Happy Jumper likes this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

He has a lovely trot, IMO. I drops into what may be a rack at the end of the first video.

His canter looks funky because he is being silly. Stabbing his fronts into the ground together and "hopping" with his back legs together. If he was calm and working, he would not canter like this.

He is quite pretty, I think you will enjoy him very much and, if you don't, let me know and I will take him off your feed bill!

Friesiangirl and Happy Jumper like this.
  8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Nope, in the first video at the after the canter he slows down and shows some strides at the gait. Also, his canter is flat and "pacey", that's usually the case with harness race horses or a gaited horse.

Happy Jumper likes this.
  9. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Well, that's what I get for having a glass of wine with lunch. Just took a sip, read that, and splattered my screen with white wine.
    I think it was the "stabbing his fronts into the ground" that got me. Thanks a lot!

10. Happy Jumper

Happy Jumper Full Member

Apologizing in advance for the quality. This is my friend riding him for the first time. Today I'll take a new one that shows what his legs are doing, but those of you with a trained eye can probably tell from this what the heck he's doing. ;)