Tumeric recipes, ideas?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Dona Worry, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Vet today suggested looking into tumeric for Calypso, before she goes off for training. Says it is supposed to both help with easing digestion and with anti-inflammatory.
    Said there are supplaments you can buy, but it would probably be cheaper to make my own with tumeric, some kind of oil, and black pepper.
    It sounds like fun, honestly, and maybe something a human could use too!
    Anyone try this? Have any success/fail stories? Recipes to try?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Uh...what?

I don't think you understand what tumeric is. It's not oil and black pepper.

Tumeric is a spice. It's the root, ground, toasted and...ground up some more, of Curcuma longa plant. That plant is related to the ginger plant, sorta.

Turmeric is a spice often used in Indian food. It's toasted very slightly in a hot pan in a little oil, before use. So...say I put some oil in a pan, then a little turmeric, curry, etc, let it darken just a teensy weensy bit, and put in the veggies, GOAT, whatever.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Hahaha, make a recipe WITH tumeric, oil, and black pepper.
    I know it's a spice, I keep some in my cupboard for soup!

manesntails likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Clearly slc hasn’t heard of this magical mixture! ITt is very well known and I completely understand what you meant.

Here’s the best web resource you’re likely to find. This is a vet in Australia who has done extensive testing.
    Golden Paste - Turmeric Recipes

5. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

When I buy tumeric (I should buy some more actually) I always buy from here
    Tumeric Turmeric Root Curcuma longa Powder | eBay
    I found them to be the best value, and the company always ships fast and their customer service is great.

I may have to try making some if that!

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Smart Pak (today only) is 50 percent off the turmeric supplement. About 8 bucks for a month if you're worried about a picky eater!

7. slc

slc Senior Member

No, I thought she was referring to tumeric itself as being oil and pepper. Confused.

8. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Turmeric can be wonderful too much can cause ulcers and digestive upset however

Horses can digest it uncooked unlike us or most species

I feed it

1tsp turmeric
    3-4 grinds pepper

With my mares cool stance (coconut feed)

Twice a day and it helps with her arthritis wonderfully

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I have fed it uncooked as well. With pepper and flax seed. I used it to cure sarcoids through the winter so didn't have the option of preventing the recipe (linked above) from freezing.

It worked very well - no sarcoids left on any ponies.......I had 3 with them :)

mymarespet, GONE ROPING and ginster like this.
  10. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member

If you don't want to make the paste you can feed it dry...added to other feed. My gelding has been getting 1 Tbls turmeric root, 3 Tbls stabilized ground flaxseed and 8 grinds of pepper. Here is the information I used to figure this out.

How to Feed Turmeric for Horses

I started with the paste the Golden Paste, but for me, the dry ingredients are easier to manage in a boarding situation. I just add it to their grain bags. I only make a weeks worth of bags at a time because the pepper is best when freshly ground.

It worked wonders on my gelding"s arthritis and diarrhea in my mare. I actually have a thread on here from several years ago about how it helped my mare when the vets couldn't clear up her mild but chronic diarrhea.

Dona Worry likes this.