TTC/Pregnancy/Baby support thread.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Jan 10, 2018.

1. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

I figured we could have a support thread for anyone who is trying or even parents who can offer advise?

Hubby and I have been TTC since April 2017. I came off the pill and we took the approach of trying but not putting any stress on it.

But Hubby did mention some disappointment over Christmas and so did I.

So we just went today to a doctors appointment for hubby and his doctor has agreed to take me on. Im gonna have appointment in April and were gonna do a physical, talk about fertility clinics etc.

Im kinda nervous not sure what to expect. What information should i bring? Hubby just mentioned family medical history.

Ive been taking prenatal vitamins, stopped smoking pot, drink only the occasional beer, eat healthy trying vegan, vegetarian and plant based eatting. Still drink coffee and lots of water.

Ive not tracked cycles or anything, ive only taken one test so far.

On another note

What does everyone think about sign language for babies? Ive heard good things from a grandparent that Grandson communicate that way.

Also how does telling your employer usually work?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

A friend of mine had a baby and at work, she didn't tell her employer until a day before she left to have the baby :)

In most cases, women tell their employer fairly early in the pregnancy, and expect fair treatment, and a brief pregnancy leave of some type.

3. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

I would suggest you start temping so you can see exactly what your body is doing. Fertility friend is a good app for that.

Baby sign is pretty cool. Mine never really grabbed on to it, but the kids who do, love it.

ETA:

I always worked in church, so I just went to my boss and said "I'm pregnant. How do you want to handle this?"

Fire Chik likes this.
  4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Sorry...not to be a Debbie downer here but...following your threads for sometime on here and i havd alwaays tried to be helpful and supportive...don't you live with your dad in a place that needs a ton of work and have posted about your struggles with finances and the heat isn't in working condition and that your dad hasn't been paying the mortgage with the money you've given him ? Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I would think the responsible thing would be to to deal with those things as a priority over having a child.
    I have to say as a taxpayer here in the US, and we do not have children because we don't want any, (i realize you live in canada) few things irk me more than paying for other people to have children when they can't afford them, dont have employment with insurance, are ill equipped and need financial welfare/ assistance.

endurgirl, Oaks, mooselady and 7 others like this.
  5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I wanted to say something similar, but knew I couldn't be as tactful.

mooselady, lucky_pine and Arem like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Same.

lucky_pine likes this.
  7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

While I understand that you really want a kid I will have to agree that if you are still in this situation. Not financially stable, secure housing (apartment/home), suitable living conditions such as heat/running water/clean environment etc. Then you really should not be trying to have a kid.
    It takes planning and stability to properly raise a child. Kids need food, clothes, schooling, doctor appointments, just glancing at the cost of college is enough to send someone into shock. The list just goes on and on.
    Until you can come close to all that I suggest waiting

SparkleDust and Dona Worry like this.
  8. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Me and my SO have a house, savings, steady jobs and some days it still doesn't feel like we were ready to have our little one. It is a lot of responsibility, you need to be prepared.

Getting pregnant is more than just eating healthier and not smoking pot. You are bringing a life into this world, you need to have a house that is safe and has workijg heat/hydro/water/hot water, your hormones will go crazy, and your body will hurt. Afterwards you are at high risk for post partum depression because of your body trying to adjust. You have posted about all the pain your body has, struggles with losing weight, and depression. Try having all that amplified and having to work. Most places wont give special treatment because you are pregnant. Plus you will need to miss work to go to appts, can you afford that?

For EI you need to have worked a minimum of 600 hours and been paying into it. Maternity benefits have been changed so you can get 55% of your pay for 12 months or 33% for 18 months. You need to figuee out if you can survive on that lay cut. Do not rely on baby bonus because that can take months to come in.

I suggest you wait till you and your SO are in a much more stable spot in your life.

endurgirl, Arem and Dona Worry like this.
  9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Thank you for saying what I wanted to, but didn't know how.

Arem and Dona Worry like this.
  10. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

Okay, with the background info, I agree with everyone else. Get yourself and your life stable and a safe environment for a curious, crawling baby.

NBChoice, CabterCrazy and Arem like this.