Trying to find silver parts for my saddle, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by VermilionStrife, Jun 29, 2018.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

So my saddle has these silver screws (not a true screw, more like a nut and bolt set up) that hold the silver cantle plate on. I've been looking for WEEKS and I can't seem to find anything that will work. I'm pulling my hair out, I have a big show in 2 weeks, lol, one of the screws is missing. :willynilly: I'm going to call Montana Silversmiths today when I'm off work to see if they can help or point me in the right direction.

I've already contacted the saddle maker and they can't help me. They don't sell the part I need. It's a Showman (not a high end saddle, I know, but I've had it 15 years and it fits my horse and me and seems decently made). I can get a picture of the piece I'm specifically looking for if that helps. Any help is greatly appreciated!:bow:

Larkspade likes this.
  2. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I expect Montana should be able to help you out. I know Weaver Leather also has a bunch of hardware for saddlery, so that may be another option. Think they have an online catalog.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Have you tried Ebay.?
    There's a leathercraft section, if Montana Silver can't help, with saddlemakers who post stuff for sale. One of them might know.

4. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Hardware depts at Lowe's and home Depot sell small threaded rods. Lowe's are inplastic bag packages on the wall. The right size of that would thread into any screw type concho . Then put a nut on the other end.

5. VermilionStrife

Thanks, I've looked on Ebay and didn't have any luck. Didn't get a chance to call MT silversmiths yesterday, ended up being really busy. Sadly I don't have a Lowe's or Home Depot close by. It would take at least an hour and a half to find one. Online is a better option for me, but I will definitely keep it in mind. Didn't think of Weaver! I will look there too.

Thanks guys! I was running out of ideas on places to look.

6. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

A Showman Hand Made Saddlery saddle (not the crap made now under the name just "Showman") is a decent saddle. It was contracted by Corriente for maybe a year or two. Check up under your left fender on the tree, it has a date and serial number. After that, Corriente bought them out and some Asian brand started using the name Showman but left out the Hand Made Saddlery to make it legal. Any silver capped screw will do, just has to be the same diameter. By the way, it is silver plated just as Montana Silversmiths is. This means you don't use any kind of polish or cleaner on it, as it will wear down the plating and cause it to turn weird colors. Just a little water and buff it with a microfiber cloth. After that, use a little clear nail polish on anything that attaches with a screw, such as your mock billet silver.

7. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

8. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

If she has the saddle I think she does, it's screws secured with a nut underneath the cantle lip.

9. VermilionStrife

@waresbear that's the exact attachment. I'll go look tomorrow when I go out for my vet appointment. I'm pretty sure the silver plate on the front of the seat has hand made in the name, so it could be that. Would it be worth contacting Corriente about if it is one of those ones? I haven't been able to find any screws that match the conchos on the saddle. I've found some (that sell with a cantle plate, which I don't need) that have a rope-type edge, but wouldn't match what's on the saddle.

10. VermilionStrife

I forgot to update on Tuesday haha, but I did check and it does have the handmade saddle plate on it and I found the serial number under the left flap.

manesntails likes this.