Truck help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Oct 3, 2017.

1. froglander

froglander Senior Member

2. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Hoping that replacing the entire top half of the engine will buy me at least a year of Susan not blowing up.

3. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Honestly you are better off to put a good used engine in it for that price

DelP and PyroTekNik333 like this.
  4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

We talked about it. But w a used engine I will just get the mystery of what's wrong again. I know what has and has not been replaced on this one. There is not much more that isn't new on this truck.
    I'm going to stock away my per diem payment once it gets here sometime in February so when the next round on mechanics come around I will be ready.

5. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I understand that. I've put 2 engines in my old 350. First time I did it right, bought a short block, new rad, new water pump new cooler lines... new everything. and after 50,000km she blew too. It was a catastrophic parts failure, oil line blew and bye bye engine, and bye bye $7000 engine job. So then I bought a parts truck. Replaced the engine, transmission , power steering pump etc.. off that parts truck and it only cost me $2500 for parts and Labour

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

The exact cost for this repair is $2,560. So either way I'm out the money lol. I looked up crate engines and can only find 1500 not 2500 for this truck. I'm sure I could if I kept digging.

7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Headers cracked as well now. Went up $300.

8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

You can have some replacements you trust put on a replaced block. My Ranger lost compression @210K and the replacement eng had 66K on it. Replacement now has 175K on it (*no whammies). What was good amenities and could safely be transferred, was. The mechanic even mentioned that the 66 was Dirty, but it has run clean & quiet,a fter b eing foamaed, flushed and occasionally Risoloned, at and after installation.
    If you trust your mechanic, their judgement, and they pick a good core, theres no reason a whole swap out should be more problems than a 1/2 /top imo.
    And you wont Have to worry about something on the low side wearing out..

9. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I trust them to do their jobs. The truck just sat too long and 27 years is old for a truck.

10. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Well, we'll, we'll 2018 you can go shove it.

In edition to the truck not being done on time my furnace decided it was going to pull a fast one. My dad meet the tech at my house to have them install the motor and igniter. They did it and waited for it to light but got zilch. He pulled it apart to see wth was going on. Found the circuit board was DOA.
    Ran the numbers to get a new one and come to find our my furnace is 23yo.....they don't make circuit boards for it anymore.
    Running the numbers to try and figure out what to do.