Truck help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Oct 3, 2017.

1. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Sitting at the shop waiting to hear the news.
    So far one battery cable was do it yourselfed and has a disconnect switch put on it where it should not of been. They are taking it off and putting it back correctly. Didn't even know it was a battery cable. I kept looking at it wondering wtf it was for, Now I know. I fear what else has been a home project..........

2. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Battery is properly connected so no more exposed wires.
    Still not sure what is causing the other issues. It is going back in the morning to have an extended stay so they can spend more time on it.
    I needed to get a ride back to base so I had to take it home w me. It did stall on them and almost shut down on the test run so they know what I am talking about.

3. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Truck is still at the shop :(

4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

$516 later
    1 tow trip
    1 starter modual
    1 fixed tail light
    1 diagnostics charge

Truck might now run

Arem likes this.
  5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

... have you checked the alternator? I had a 1995 Chevy Blazer that just died at an idle in a parking lot. We boosted it, it started and ran fine until I put it in gear. Then it died.

Turns out it was the alternator. My dad went to a pick and pull, found a newer alternator and put it in. It has ran like a top ever since.

Next, I'd check the fuel pump. If it's dirty, clogged or failing, you'll get the same issues.

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I had them check the fuel pump and it's fine. That was the #1 possibility.

He does it in and out of gear. Mostly in gear.
    Susan died twice while they had him since Friday so they had susan for 4 days. They got him to die twice, once being able to restart and once unable to start.
    I asked them to drive and him and make sure everything sounds good and the problem doesn't continue. Figured they have time to get him out a little since I can't get a ride till Friday to pick him up.

7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Got the truck back and decided to take it for a drive to see how it is running. Went on a longish drive since I wanted to give it enough time to screw up.
    Truck ran great and just when I was almost back the passenger side rear tire blew.
    Sadly it didn't just pop it decided to take my diamond plate mud flap with it and my wheel well trim.
    I managed to pull into a gas station and a nice guy helped me pull the tire off and bend the flap out of the way.

Well now I need 2 rear tires in edition to everything else. I just put new tires on the front a couple weeks ago.
    I was going to wait till spring to replace the rear tires since susan is going into storage once I get home.

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Susan needs a new rabbit's foot... ;)

Arem likes this.
  9. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

He does, maybe a couple.

Arem likes this.
  10. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I was jinxed, my friend was just saying "get your truck didn't break for 30 days". I told her to can it or she would cause something.
    It was too late, far, far too late.

Made it just outside the Minnesota/wisconsin boarder and my hear gage hit red. Got it into a truck stop just off the interstate with steam pouring out of the hood.
    Popped it open to find the overflow cap off and the tank full of coolant. That oh **** feeling is great.
    It was 8:30pm, -8 And I didn't know where I was. Managed to map out that I was 10 miles from my temporary mechanic while I am in Minnesota. So I sputtered the truck there and spent the night (by then it's 11pm) at the super 8 next door to the shop.
    Got the truck checked in when they opened the next day and they gave me there courtesy car.
    Called me the next day to give me the bad news. Susan the truck blew a head gasket and I am now $2g in the hole.
    Merry Xmas to me.