Truck help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Oct 3, 2017.

1. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I need the wisdom of more experienced and mechanically inclined people.
    I purchased my truck Susan about 6 months back and so far I have dropped $1,200 in repairs on it thanks to mechanical problems. Add in all the basic maintenance like 2 new tires $400, oil changes and other odds and ends so I am sitting at $1,700 in stuff put into this truck in 6 months.
    I love my truck, Susan is awesome, exactly what I want and is just pushing my buttons right now.

First Susan threw the serpentine belt which took the power steering with it, busted the bracket that held the power steering where it needed to be which left two bolts sheered off.
    bolts extracted, welded the bracket back together, new power steering and new belt left me at $900 and no truck for 3 days.
    Got the truck back, ran great for a while then when I was pulling out of the long driveway onto the road Susan just straight up died. Was running smooth then nothing, did not restart and ended up towing it to the shop. My fuel filter clogged, starter bit the dust, starter coil ended up going with it. shelled out $350 and another 3 days and my mechanic is not entirely sure that was the cause.

Now up to this last attempt at sabotage. Was sitting in traffic on the interstate and Susan died again. This time I got him to start and I made it back to base. It ran smooth after as well. It doesn't sputter, grumble or make any noise. It like a complete loss of power. Both times Susan died while I was idling.

Any ideas, I am hoping Susan makes it back to WI without dying on me since a tow truck just isn't going to happen.

Oh and specs
    1989 Chevy Silverado 2500

Yes his name is Susan. He would like it if you respected his lifes choices.

2. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Help.......

3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Sounds electrical. Bad ground maybe?
    How do your battery cables look? Any green crusty/gooey stuff peeking out of the insulation?

4. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I know nothing about your truck but a quick Google suggests that it's not uncommon and the cause may be a dirty throttle body.

Lots of things can cause a vehicle to stall at idle though, depending on the vehicle. Fuel issues being another common one. Perhaps do some googling of your own and ask on a forum related to your truck if you can?

5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Otherwise what condition is your battery (and battery terminals) in? Could be a really bad battery, dirty battery terminals, loose terminals, etc.

Or something electrical. My mum used to own a Hyundai excel that developed a glitch in its computer system (or so I remember being told as a kid) that was causing it to stall at idle and even jerk as if trying to stall at high speed.. :eek:

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Battery was tested and is perfect, connections are clean. Battery problems where my first thought and I had that checked the first time the truck died.

I googled some common similar problems and fuel pump and air filter seemed to be the top issues.
    Talked to my mechanic. And he is leaning towards fuel. I also want to look into an idling issue as a possible problem.

7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I would expect fuel problems to cause sputtering.
    When it dies and you try to restart it what happens? Dies it crank or click or anything?

Is this a carbureted motor or tbi?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I believe it's carborated I am not 100% on that.
    The first time it turned over but didn't start. After changing out the fuel filter, starter and coil it started.

This time you could tell it was trying to start I would get an almost start but it would sputter out. A couple times it gave me a grinding noise but after a couple more tried it fired up and I booked it the 1/2 mile I had left.

This time

9. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Dying fuel pump, or bad wiring to the fuel pump? My Merc acted up for a while before the fuel pump just quit completely. That turned out to be badly corroded wires on the fuel tamp end. When it quit, it quit dead. But before that, it had intermittent dropouts.

Either no fuel or no spark, is what your problem sounds like. If you don't have any weird things going on with your lights or other electrical stuff, I'd tend to suspect fuel pump and not, say, alternator ripple. (My Ford with alternator ripple would have flashing lights and dramatic and complete electrical system dropouts and would just lose all power going down the road, lol. Then start up all by itself and run on down the road some more before the next episode. A new alternator fixed that.)

10. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I'm not good with gassers but to me it sounds like a fuel problem.