Trouble with worming my horse.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Mirage, Feb 12, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Put her in the faux stocks like you described with the rope and work with her there.
    She has to have the mind set of notfighting in order to learn. Eventually, you won't need to put her in that position, she'll have accepted it.

Also, work with a towel. Rub her face, run the towel over her mouth so fast, she can't react. Stay at her shoulder no matter what she does. She'll get sick of reacting for no reason.

Mirage likes this.
  2. paval

paval Senior Member

When trying to decipher something, they say to always look for the obvious first. Does your mare react the same way if you approach her with the tube, or try to handle her mouth, from either side?

3. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Yes, she does it on both sides.

4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Playing with her mouth needs to be a daily habit. Grooming? Add it to your routine to touch her lips, pull at them, rub her mouth, rub her gums, look at her teeth, put things in her mouth, ANYTHING you are fine with being slobbered on, chewed on, or cracked. I have a gross lead rope for this. Feed anything into her mouth every day you do something with her. It will get to the point that she is bored of having her mouth handled. Don't even make it about deworming. Just put everything in her mouth. The rounded end of the hoof pick. Whatever. Mix in a syringe looking thing every week or so.

I personally wouldn't be so cautious as to leave the syringe out 5 feet away while grooming, but if she really is that horrible and that works, go for it. But when you get to bringing it TO her, touch her entire body with it before her head. Rub it down her body in one stroke, follow with a brush in the other hand. Go back and forth. Rub her FACE with the syringe. before going anywhere near her mouth. I worked with a mare that would have me hanging off of her halter with her front feet in the air to get dewormed. 2 weeks later of just messing with her face multiple times a day, I could walk into her field, no halter, put my arm around her nose, and slide the syringe in and give.

This handling needs to happen for every horse, not just bad to handle ones. Every client I come up to is amazed when I take their horse who they can never deworm and in 5-10 minutes of playing with their mouth I can get my hands and tools in with no problem. It's like having your horses feet able to be handled for a farrier. You pick them every day.Not just the day of a farrier appointment. If you only picked their feet up every 6-8 weeks, they'd be pretty tough to deal with too. Same goes for the mouth.

GONE ROPING, manesntails and Mirage like this.
  5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Have you tried or considered a drenching bit? Hole in the middle of it dispenses paste & meds. I dont think even the small tubes of wormer actually fit in, unless its been redesigned. The large tubes clearly dont fit.
    "EZ Wormer"
    upload_2018-2-13_12-58-5.jpeg

6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I have considered it. But it still wouldn't help with checking teeth or her mouth in general.

7. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

Had basically the same issue with Arwen; just not to the same extreme.

I basically did alot of what everyone is saying. I would carry syringes with me either on my body or in my hand.

Touching her mouth became a daily occurrence. Even if is was a casual glide along the side of her face down to where the bit would sit.

Eventually it progressed to me touch her face with the syringe and working my way down to the side of her face. After that, the goal was her to let me poke the corner of her mouth with the syringe. Finally; the first time I squeezed the plunger it was a mix of molasses and apple sauce.

eventually I had emptied her worming dosage into a syringe that had apple sauce already in it.

The whole process took 3 months. She still not amazing, but she can be reliably wormed outside with a halter on and minimal fuss. Same with the bit, she'll fuss a tiny bit but no longer in anyway dangerous.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    kodemiester and Mirage like this.
  8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I have an old mare who was an amish horse her whole life and she is is absolutely terrifying when it comes to deworming or trying to touch her mouth. I don't know what it god's heaven they did to create such a response but once it kicks in, she's not even thinking anymore she's just reacting.

I had to go very slow. And to be honest I think the reason I'm successful is because I worked really hard to gain her trust first. Nobody else can syringe her yet (working on it). But I would hold the syringe and feed her alfalfa cubes for daaaayyys. Gradually I would stand next to her with the syringe and feed her alfalfa cubes. We eventually progressed to her letting me touch her shoulder with it. Then her neck. Then her cheek. Then her nose. Then her mouth. Then inside her mouth. It took months. And she's still not great about it but I can walk up to her with a syringe, sing a song, and rub her face with it and gradually make my way to putting it in her mouth.
    She colicked once and the vet tried to tube her. The moment she felt that tube touch her nose she went up. Horses with history--there is sometimes only so much you can do.

Mirage likes this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Bella was horrible about having anyone check her mouth or give her dewormer when I got her. I think with her it was the restraint thing.

She was fussy about all kinds of touching - she'd cow kick if you tried to touch her stifle and dog forbid you got near her udders! She hated being brushed, kicked out when you tried to pick up a back foot.

So I spent a ton of time just touching. I groomed with a super soft brush because I get sensitive but I'm also going to insist you get groomed. And I'd just run hands all over casually as I worked.

I have no idea how she was handled or treated in the past - whether her behavior was because of anything particular or just her acting out. I suspect a little of both. I don't think anyone ever even bothered to try teaching her any manners and I don't think anyone was overly sensitive to her being sensitive. But I also think she's just a drama queen who loves to fuss if given half the chance.

Anyway, it didn't take her long to get it through her very smart little TB brain that (1) I wasn't going to put up with any carp; and (2) I wasn't going to do anything to hurt her.

She's fine now. If I need to use a rubber curry (something that would have sent her into a panic when I got her), she barely registers it because I use it only for the stuff I need it for and I don't use it on her very sensitive areas. I can touch her anywhere. I can open her mouth and peer in or stuff things in there.

But it took a lot of time for all that to occur.

GONE ROPING and Mirage like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I had another thought....

Once the horse is comfortable with you carrying the syringe around, and you can touch them at least not eh neck and such, I would suggest doing clicker training with her & have the syringe be the target. Then she’ll always want to touch ti & deworming should become a really enjoyable thing for her! :)

Blue-Roan, paval and NaeNae like this.