Trimming the forelock

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Silver Georgia, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

Do it? Don't do it? If you do it how do you avoid making it look goofy? :rolleyez:
    I had a stud horse that I cut his forelock straight across and he looked like a total goofball. I just want to know what you do to trim your horses, or if you don't then Why don't you?

2. Secret Meadows

Secret Meadows Full Member

I have never trimmed a forelock. I just don't see any reason to and I'm sure it'd look horrible if I tried:p

3. whisperbaby

whisperbaby Senior Member+

Don't ever trim the forelock!!!!!!!!! :p at least not on a WP/HUS horse. It looks RIDICULOUS!

1 person likes this.
  4. Fiyaero

Fiyaero Banned

I have not cut Fiyaero's forelock, but I know how to do it.
    To cut a forelock, brush it into one, even layer. Cut the bottom third in a V shape, then point cut the entire forelock focusing more on the bottom half of the hair furthest from the poll. Depending on what breed you have or what show classes you enter, it may also be appropriate to shave off the forelock completely. If you don't want to lose length, you can trim the forelock back by point cutting the entire forelock.

Silver Georgia likes this.
  5. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

I don't think I plan on trimming either of my horses forelocks I was just curious as to how to do it if I needed to .
    that was very helpful :)

6. 3turns

3turns Senior Member

ugh i did it when i was 8 years old...... gave my horse a straight across forelock, i dont think my family every forgave me.. I rememeber my grandma telling me how horrible it looked then i started ccrying so she said "OHhhhhhhh it actually looks pretty good" hehehe

7. megan_kat22

megan_kat22 Senior Member+

twist the forelock all the way to the bottom and trim off the bleached or damaged part, then tada- a natural looking forelock remains.

8. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member+

Well, you could shave it off like the ASB's do :p

But I like to leave mine alone, it's too hard to get them to regrow if it gets messed up.

9. Cat Ballou

Cat Ballou Senior Member

I have never done anything with my horses' forelocks except make silly looking parts in them occasionally for my own viewing enjoyment :p They have never gotten too long, but I like the natural look anyhow even if they did.

10. dun4fun

dun4fun Senior Member+

If a horse has a thick forelock, I pull it the same as pulling a mane. If the mane is thin then let it be or just trim the dry endy bits by twisting the forelock and then trimming.