Tried and True Mane Thickening tips/tricks/anything?!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by CautionWetPaint, Jun 7, 2018.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

Is there anything out there that will help thicken a really thin mane? My gelding is 4, in all of his younger pictures it looks like he has a decently thick mane and tail. I bought him in February and he has always had a very thin mane and tail. I took him to a show this weekend and when I banded his mane, it was so thin, there was easily a good 2 inches between each band, and each band was super small with hardly any hair. He has a very healthy shiny good coat, and is getting proper nutrition, he is just lacking volume in his hair!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that actually work? Or am I just out of luck?
    I am using MTG on both his mane and tail weekly (also to repel ticks). I have toyed with the idea of roaching it, but from what I have been reading on other threads that that only evens the mane out, not thicken it.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

It’s not different than with humans or any other species. You have the genes that you have, and if you do not have the luxurious hair gene, then no amount of product or supplements is going to give you Fabio hair. You can only do your best to care for the amount that is grown, which it seems like you are doing.

Alyssa Hughes and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

April has a terrible mane too. I roached it last fall and it came back decent, but within 2 weeks of wearing her fly sheet with neck cover (she fades bad without) it was back to paper thin... so roached it prior to last show.

CautionWetPaint and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Condition it with coconut oil and keep it neatened as well as only finger comb it. That's my best input and 2 cents.. Good luck!!

5. Alsosusieq2

That's my go to tbh. I hate fussing with manes. Plus, I love the clean look.

CautionWetPaint likes this.
  6. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

This is the best thing to do in my opinion. Try not to mess with it too much. Just baby the hair he has. My colt has a long, beautiful mane and I don't mess with it besides gently combing it. It also depends on the genetics your gelding has.

CautionWetPaint likes this.
  7. PonyNuts123

PonyNuts123 Full Member

I have a tip that works every time. brush the dock of your horse’s tail daily with a dandy brush. It really helps. Also putting coconut oil in feed helps with mane, tail AND coat

8. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I try to mess with it as little as possible. I only brush it after a bath before a show. When i put the MTG in I just separate the hair gently with my fingers.

For all of you saying use coconut oil, where do I get it and do I feed it and condition with it? I hate anything coconut for myself as far as taste and smell so I try to avoid it, but if it works I'm willing to try!

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

I'd just hit Google and Amazon. You don't need food grade, but they probably all are. Just get 100%, not a lotion with it in it. It lasts a long time as you don't use much.

ginster and CautionWetPaint like this.
  10. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

In my experience the less you mess with it the more likely it is to grow in. I wouldn’t brush it or put anything in it and limit using any sort of soap etc. Just hose off if sweaty, don’t let sweat sit and dry. If the horse wears anything that sits on the mane (sleazy, neck cover for fly sheet or blanket), discontinue use. I’ve never had any luck with MTG and have actually had two horses have bad reactions with it... once I used it on a forelock in attempt to grow it and it blistered the poor horse’s skin. Another time I used it to clear up fungus on a horse’s legs and they blew up the day after.
    Also, I’m sure this goes without saying, but don’t pull the mane to shorten it! Any thin manes I use one of these:
    Mane Thinner & Trimmer

I also use it if sections of mane are thinner than others to even it out. Tease the mane up like you would if you were pulling using the comb side, then flip and cut with the razor at the desired length. It looks more natural and gives the pulled look without pulling.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.