Tribute horse feed

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Feb 3, 2019.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Any users? Thoughts? I found a dealer about an hour away, but it's Sunday so i don't know if they have a large selection. Just wondering if there are any general thoughts on the feed, may try to change feeds if they're appropriate for my horses. I have such a large range of needs for my horses: rofl:

2. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I used Tribute's RB for many years on two different horses and was very happy with it. The barn that I am at is sponsored by the them and uses the Kalm N Easy for their QHs and Kalm Ultra for the TBs. Everybody looks great. It's super popular in my area in general with a lot of people happy with it.

GotaDunQH and endurgirl like this.
  3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I use Tribute Essential K and get it from Chewy.com. I switched from Purina Enrich and so far have no complaints.

endurgirl likes this.
  4. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

I have used Tribute for close to 8 years now. Originally was on the Kalm N EZ my barn manager told me my dead head western pleasure horse was acting hot and while riding I noticed my mare was pretty looky lately. I switched to Kalm Ultra and was super happy!

I got a long yearling in 2015 and he was somewhat undernourished so we put him on Tribute Growth this was at the same time my mare was now on Essential K. Was not super pleased with Tribute that year. My long yearling did start really growing but he always looked unthrifty even after 8 months of Tribute Growth (fed at appropriate amounts) and cocosoya oil as well as supplemental alfalfa. My mare looked great body wise but her coat needed improvement. So we switched back to Kalm Ultra and was super pleased at how everyone looked again.

Fast forward to now. We now have better quality hay and my Mare is on a hoof supplement for the past year and she just glows. She’s switched (in the last year) from Kalm Ultra to Nutrena (I cant remember what was at trainers last winter/spring) to Essential K and she still glows.

I’m going to assume the lower quality hay and possibly a copper/zinc deficiency from our high iron really was a play in my not originally liking the Essential K. Or she needed more of it to balance out her nutrient deficiency even though i was feeding at the recommended rate.

Supposedly their formula is different than 8 years ago on the Kalm N EZ and I know a on of successful pleasure horses currently on it. So I would try that again.

My 2 year old is still on Kalm Ultra and looks fabulous.

I am really torn on the growth. My long yearling/2 year old was on 7-7.5 lbs a day split in two feedings along with 4 oz of cocosoya oil and 4 lbs of alfalfa pellets and he just never had any bloom on him. He was boarded so had amazing quality hay always in the stall but much lower quality grass out on the slightly overgrazed pasture.

Sorry for the novel!

endurgirl likes this.
  5. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

This is my colt last October at 16 months! Just came in for his dinner hasn’t been brushed even yet! He’s been on Kalm Ultra with a scoop (4 oz) of K Finish since we brought him home late February of 2018 at 7 months old.

Attached Files:

endurgirl likes this.
  6. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

The senior and Kalm Ultra are just so high in NSC (22% and 23.5% respectively). I wouldn't feed that much sugar to any horse. The Kalm N Easy seems to be decent with 13.5% NSC and good ingredients. Their RBs seem good. What would you be switching from?

endurgirl likes this.
  7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I use primarily the ProElite Performance and Growth. One is now on TC Naturals to see if it helps his sensitivity to EVerything :rofl:

I have such a wide range of horses, from broodies to show horses to laminitic senior, so i don't think there's a one size fits all for me lol

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Brandi’s been on tribute for a while now. I like it. :) I had her on the RB before I moved her to the place before the currant one. That barn was supposedly feeding her the Kalm N Ez (but evidence indicates otherwise:cautious:) Thsts what she’s on at the current barn, now, and she looks great.

endurgirl likes this.
  9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I feed Kalm n Ez to my medium keeper STB. He needs more than a RB, less than a senior feed.

It uses decent ingredients, low sugar, priced fairly. I'm very pleased with it.

endurgirl likes this.
  10. Chicachica

Chicachica Registered

I have found Tribute to have excellent quality feed. I highly recommend it, although I am not feeding grain at all right now. If I do feed grain, I go with Tribute.

endurgirl likes this.