Treating Wood To Stop Chewing

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by StarfireArizona, Jun 16, 2008.

1. StarfireArizona

StarfireArizona Senior Member+

What's a good thing to use on wood to prevent chewing ?

I am working on trailer loading & using some very fortified pallets to help them step up. Unfortunately my trailer has to sit where they are all turned out & the pallets are there for everyone's chewing enjoyment.

Can I use creosote....or is there something better ?

2. Ropin1

Ropin1 Senior Member

Wood chewing usually means the horses are lacking something in their diets. :)

3. Seein'Spots

Seein'Spots Senior Member+

Don't use creasote it can cause cancer.

I haven't found anything that works. I tried coppertox, hot sc, soap, creasote ( before I read the ill affects ) electric wire ( didn't plug it in in certain places ) finally I gave up...

4. StarfireArizona

All 4 of mine chew out of boredom..... When I was weaning my colt I had to put up wood in front of the stalls to keep them apart. They not only chewed down from the top, but chewed holes right through the middle. It gives them something to do, and it's a novelty. Everything around them is metal rails, so this new soft stuff is interesting :)

5. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

Get a large bottle of tabasco sauce, and mix it in a spray bottle, and spray the wood, they will think twice....if that don't work...they do sell stuff made for wood, to keep horses from chewing on it...I think the tabasco sauce, or ceyanne pepper mixed with water will do the trick cheaper though,..

Cathy :)

6. StarfireArizona

Even for something short term such as a couple of weeks ?

There must be something that a lot of folks use if they have wood stalls/partitions. I remember reading, maybe even on this board, that someone used creosote. I know the smell would surely keep them from wanting to put their mouth on it :p Maybe there is something better ?

7. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

If they are eating out of boredom, feed more hay. If they are only getting hay twice a day they would eat/chew on wood. The other thing to do is move the trailer out of there pasture and work with them out in the yard.

8. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

according to a friend, creasote does stop chewing, but according to warnings, it does also cause cancer.

this friend I mention hates 'termites' and found some creasote many years ago to paint her fences. It was the only thing she found to stop the chewing. She only did one application.

About 10 years later, she had cancer. The chemo nearly killed her. She herself feels it was the creasote. She's survived, but who really wants cancer?

My morgan became a wood chewer after being feed waaaaay too much grain (without my consent or knowledge). Now, its a habit.

To my knowledge, chewing can be boredom, lacking nutrition, too rich a diet (my horse's case) and just plain habit (now my horse's case).

I worked for 4 months trying to solve the wood chewing problem.

Changing my horse's diet helped tremendously. Providing free choice hay helped. Providing himalayan salt blocks helped a bit. painting surfaces w/ bitter spray, garlic, hot sauce just seemed to flavor the surfaces more, so that didn't work.

Keeping him active did help, I provided lots of toys and put up lots of obstacles and jumps.

My last resort was to fence the trees, replace the railings, and provide wood he'd prefer to chew (mulberry branches, etc), but I ended up leaving instead.

Now I board at a place thats been chewed to pieces and no one cares.

Funny, he hasn't chewed yet, but I expect he will come winter.

You could always muzzle.

good luck.

9. PrettyLilPistol

PrettyLilPistol Full Member

sprinkle paprika on whatever is being chewed :D

10. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

Creasote that is used for telephone poles is made from oil based products. Different than the bushes out here in AZ :)

Cathy, we had an Arab mare that ADORED it and waited for us to get it on her stuff. Had to quit using it. I found that bitters (the kind that go in martinis works better. And if you were to take some small creasote branches and boil them and pour it on the pallets, that may very well work. I've yet to see any horses willingly eat the shrubs. Could you get some snow fence and run that around the pallets and trailer so they can't get the pallets in their mouths?