Treat this wound

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, May 7, 2017.

1. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

I have some amazing stuff called well horse that I would use on a wound like this. Its a plant compound that applies in a thin layer, you allow it to dry and then apply another coating. It can stay on for days or you can reapply daily. The bugs don't bother with it (its quite pungent) and it makes a rubbery sort of resin coating. It's anti microbial and heals wounds amazingly well. Amazon.com: Well-Horse Antibacterial Healing Resin Remedy: Sports & Outdoors

endurgirl likes this.
  2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

If you can wrap it at all I'd use honey. unpasteurized honey, local if possible. if you're getting proud flesh I would debride with saline in a garden sprayer.

Had a bad laceration 2 years ago, and it healed amazing using honey and saline. I swear by it now.

endurgirl and D_BaldStockings like this.
  3. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

Honey for sure
    I also like Granulex and corona

endurgirl likes this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Could not find the sleeve at CVS, there was no Walgreens in town, but I did clip the hair surrounding the wound, applied Manuka honey, and used a sock instead of the sleeve until I can find some. I'm sure it'll eventually fall down but hopefully it'll provide a little bit free from gnats!

JStorry and mooselady like this.
  5. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

OH! I just remembered this. I was trying to think of the alternative yesterday but couldn't. If the sock is too heavy and falls... PANYTHOSE. A sock usually works great too in a pinch but, like you said, falls. You could cut skinny strips of vet wrap and tape it around the leg to keep it from falling. Pantyhose is a great alternative. Lightweight, soft, stretchy. You can use vetwrap and tape it up as well to keep from slipping and it's easier to cut than a sock.

mooselady and endurgirl like this.
  6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Hope it is healing up for you!

I have had to wrap my horse's pasterns before to treat Florida sores and what the vet had me use was elastikon because it stays put. Also used it when stupid human (me) + spooked horse resulted in rope burn on pastern. Since it sticks, it doesn't fall down and bunch up like if you wrapped with vetwrap. Would also be good to hold a sock up :)

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Walgreens nor Rite Aid had the elastic sleeve. The sock had slipped down done but was still covering the wound, so i left it on, and my mom will periodically check on her. I did order the sleeve from Amazon though, will be here tomorrow.

It actually did look better yesterday when I clipped the hair away and could get a look at it.

PaintedRocket, froglander and JStorry like this.
  8. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

I'm gonna send a vote for woundade red and if proud flesh starts which it shouldn't equaide also.

Woundade would have to be ordered to be shipped but it's my go-to for wounds and has healed some nasty looking ones in a week/two instead of months.

I used it in conjunction with equaide on one horse that had severe wounds and proud flesh with high success to the point of minimal scarring.

Woundade: Woundade

endurgirl likes this.
  9. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

endurgirl likes this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

This was my before and after with Schreiners and proud flesh. I would spray and then wrap. Unwrapped about every two to three days or earlier if it unwrapped.

December 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

December 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

endurgirl likes this.