Treat this wound

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, May 7, 2017.

1. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

She liked your post, I really don't think she meant it the way it sounded to you. Honestly, that's an iconic joke, and even my mind went there when you said that.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, then, in that case, I stand corrected and apologize.

DelP, Compadre and emali06 like this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Settle down there. My post was a joke. Have you even seen that movie? It's hilarious.

And I love wonder dust. I own some. Don't use it often but I would if I had to.

4. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Also guilty of thinking of that scene when manes said that. Lol

No advice, but hope it heals up quick for you!

Sam C. and emali06 like this.
  5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Clean once, apply 'cover' of choice such as alumashield, wonderdust, or...nothing.
    Then leave it alone but watch it. If drying out and scab that forms begins to crack apply gentle, 'goopy stuff' to keep it soft, like aloe cream, Crisco (yes, you read that right) or other non-petroleum product.

Usually the more you fuss, irritate and soak, the more likely you will get proudflesh.

Personally I'm not a fan of fura ointment, but others are very happy with it.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have and use Alusheild, Fura Zone and Wonder Dust.
    They are all good products but have very different “best” uses.

Wonder dust is a caustic drying agent and a coagulant. It is good for wounds that need to be dried out, stop bleeding, and retard proud flesh. If this wound started to develop proud flesh I would use some wonder dust as it will destroy the proud flesh. Because wonder dust is caustic is slows down the healing process of the healthy cells.

Fura Zone is a good antibiotic cream for surface bacterial infections. If this horses wound looked infected I would clean put on the Fura-zone, apply a surgical pad wrap with a roll of gauze and then vet wrap 2 X’s each day. It is a carcinogen, therefore I only use If there is an active infection.

Alusheild is a spray on coating that stays fairly soft flexible…its sort of like sealing something in bees wax. It does not treat an infection, it does not destroy proud flesh. Wounds heal fast if they are kept clean and moist and this is Alushield’s job… and it protects the wound from becoming infected due to dirt and flies. It can be applied over the top of Wonder dust or other Medications.

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I cleaned it today, it had a smell to it, for the first time. I'm battling gnats like crazy. So, im probably going to start her on an antibiotic tomorrow. I've tried a multitude of treatments, ( vetricyn, alushield, wonder dust, Vaseline) all with swat and fly spray surrounding the wound, but the gnats are persistent little pests:mad::mad:. And by the end of the day it's filthy.

I put her in a different pasture with less dirt because it was open and filthy and swarmed with gnats everyday, but that didn't help much. Last resort will be to stall her, which I hate to do because it'll swell.

Good news is she's sound moving forward, but still can't back up on it. Needless to say, she won't make the big show this weekend. :(

20170514_192812.jpg

8. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a fly boot handy? If the gnats are irritating, I'd put one on if it won't rub. It'll also keep the flies off and prevent it from turning into a summer sore. Tends to help keep them cleaner too while being breathable.

Alushield is amazing stuff (so is Wonder Dust). But that's superficial enough to just let it be and just spray some Vetricyn on it daily. I put Wonder Dust on just about any cut though, hahahha. I had a few people at my barn scoff at me and get super concerned (they stated their reasons but they weren't important enough for me to even remember, honestly--something about the type of cut and when it should be used, yadayada blah blah blah) but whatever, it's what I've always used no problem.

If you have a Walgreens close by, THESE ARE AWESOME to have on hand:
    [​IMG]

Just vet wrap the top part and the bottom to keep it in place. When one barn had a bad case of summer sores on a few horses, they used these to help and they were awesome. I always keep a few boxes at the barn.

Curad Hold Tite Tubular Stretch Bandage, Large | Walgreens

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I don't have a fly boot, and don't know how she'd tolerate it, if it'd touch the wound, because she's pretty sensitive.

Hmm I wonder if that sleeve would work, I know that stuff is flexible, I see it on human joints lol

Going to try to clean the hair around it tomorrow if she'll tolerate it...

10. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

The sleeves are one of my most coveted First Aid items, LOL. They're lightweight, soft, and won't rub like a fly boot might. I know some fly boots are softer; I use the rougher, more strudy Kensington ones for Miss Priss Sassaloosa who is uber prissy with flies ...

endurgirl likes this.