Treat this wound

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, May 7, 2017.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Not much history on this, did not happen while in my care, it looks like a rope burn, it cleaned up pretty well, no bleeding, so I believe the rope cauterized it. I'm going to tractor supply in a little bit, can pick up some things. I've put vetricyn on it after cleaning it. Minimal swelling, horse moves stiff but not dead lame.

20170505_164149.jpg

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

If their is no sign of infection, and it is an older wound I would dig out my Underwoods for that...but then I dig it out for most things. That one does look deep though.....interested to see others views

Fire Chik and endurgirl like this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

It needs to heal from the inside out. I would clean it gently with a chlorhexidine solution and then spray it with Alushield, and watch closely for proud flesh development.

Alsosusieq2 and endurgirl like this.
  5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Hmm, I googled, it said tractor supply carries it. I don't remember seeing it today, does it normally stock it? Will have access to a different TS tomorrow.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Wounder dust. It's only a flesh wound.

7. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

It's not that bad, if it were my horse and was going to use stuff I already have, I'd smear a big gob of Nitrofurazone on it regularly. I've found furazone works good on burns plus it'll help keep the edges soft. I've had horses get a little cranky when a scab heals there, it drys, cracks and pulls then irritates the wound more.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

I can't tell how deep it is, and you probably don't know how long it's been since the animal was injured, or what was tried to get it to heal. So given that, I'd call in the vet if it was not just superficial and see if any structures were injured. Otherwise I would be using the mildest thing I could find (some very mild antiseptic like chlorhex) and if need be, put horse on antibiotics, wrap(again, depending on how deep it is and how healthy the tissue is, etc. If it was not going to heal because of constant movement, I'd have to take further measures.

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I think it'll heal great. What you see is what it is. It is superficial, thank goodness.
    No other structures are lacerated, it's skin. I want it to stay moist because it's a high motion spot, she's on turnout, and was last seen walking the fence as she does regularly, lol.

Should it get wrapped? Because thankfully there was a cold snap the past few days and no bugs, but it's warming back up and I know they'll return.

:rolleyez::rolleyez:

10. FraggleRock

FraggleRock Full Member

Wonderdust or proudflesh dust and leave unwrapped! Put some swat around the edges for bugs if needed :)

manesntails likes this.